• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

calibrating your meat thermometers at altitude

lisacsco

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 30, 2007
What if your in a higher altitude? It does take ALOT longer to boil water here, are you still looking at 212* F? Or isnt it 208? I dont know for sure, maybe someone here can help.
I just dont want to think my thermometers are that far off!!

Lisa :)

(maybe this is my first helpful hint here...woohoo!!)

deejaydebi

Legendary Pitmaster
Joined Nov 18, 2006

lisacsco

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 30, 2007
OK, now your the one I come to when I want the RIGHT answer here :)

domn8_ion

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Apr 5, 2007
Debi, is there anything you DON'T know? Seems like you learned a lot about alot.

oillogger

Meat Mopper
OTBS Member
Joined Jun 25, 2006
We made it to the moon and back on a slip stick (slide rule) so do not let a handfull of degrees of thermometer inaccuracy keep you from putting out some good "Q".

deejaydebi

Legendary Pitmaster
Joined Nov 18, 2006
Dom -

There's so much I don't know it's scarey! I find something new to learn every day! Isn't life wonderful?

domn8_ion

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Apr 5, 2007
Debi,
Trust me, you share more than most people will ever know for themselves. And wee all are greatful.

starsfaninco

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 2, 2006
Lisa, I live at about 5600 feet, not quite as high as CS, but my temps are in the 204-206 range for boiling water. Hope that helps.

deejaydebi

Legendary Pitmaster
Joined Nov 18, 2006
To bad I didn't smoke when I was teaching this could've been a fun yet practical homework question!

Thanks Dom you guys make it worth the effort!

domn8_ion

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Apr 5, 2007
Oillogger is right. If you don't get exactly on for the boiling point as a set point, close (within 10- 20) is still okay.

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.