Cajun Red Beans And Rice.....The Real Deal

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Beyond a phenomenal thread Jake, I absolutely love Cajun food and this will definitely be done… appreciate your detailed post and recipe! Your wife’s cornbread looks amazing as well!

BTW, IMO… if someone doesn’t love The Great US of A… feel free to go elsewhere! I’ll help ya pack!

Reactions: negolien and TNJAKE
Beyond a phenomenal thread Jake, I absolutely love Cajun food and this will definitely be done… appreciate your detailed post and recipe! Your wife’s cornbread looks amazing as well!

BTW, IMO… if someone doesn’t love The Great US of A… feel free to go elsewhere! I’ll help ya pack!
Thanks Justin and I agree! If you make it let me know what you think!

Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
I was born in New Orleans, so I am very familiar with red beans and rice. Mom made them every week. Yes, Camelia beans.

Do you get them at your stores there or did you have to have them shipped to you?
Just got back from the store. Whole bottom shelf is various Camellia beans
IMG_20220705_110132.jpg

Looks outstanding.! Just my cup of tea. Would love to make it but can't find when to add the beans to it. With the chicken broth? Thanks

Reactions: TNJAKE
Looks outstanding.! Just my cup of tea. Would love to make it but can't find when to add the beans to it. With the chicken broth? Thanks
Thanks bud. Rinse beans after the soak. Then put back in pot. Add the Trinity and sausage and bacon. Then broth and spices. This keeps everything from splashing when adding the Trinity and other goodies but either way is fine. Once everything is together bring to boil, cover and reduce heat to low. It will stay at a low boil. Follow the rest of the directions from there. Let me know how you like it

Thanks bud. Rinse beans after the soak. Then put back in pot. Add the Trinity and sausage and bacon. Then broth and spices. This keeps everything from splashing when adding the Trinity and other goodies but either way is fine. Once everything is together bring to boil, cover and reduce heat to low. It will stay at a low boil. Follow the rest of the directions from there. Let me know how you like it
Thanks for clearing it up for me. Just wasn't sure. Will certainly let us you know. Thanks again.

Jake, I cannot stop thinking of this! Quick question and forgive me if I overlooked… you said an hour before serving to mash up a cup of beans! Do you reserve a cup to the side at some point? Also, that cornbread of your wife’s is still in my head! I’m a redneck from SE ID, but have been and always will be a HUGE fan of Cajun food!

Jake, I cannot stop thinking of this! Quick question and forgive me if I overlooked… you said an hour before serving to mash up a cup of beans! Do you reserve a cup to the side at some point? Also, that cornbread of your wife’s is still in my head! I’m a redneck from SE ID, but have been and always will be a HUGE fan of Cajun food!
Lol no problem bud. I wouldn't reserve a cup. They need to cook and soak up all the Cajun goodness. The veggies almost become non existent by the end of the cook so scooping some of them out isn't an issue. In the past I've scooped out a cup and pick out any sausage and mashed them. Nowadays I just use a wooden spoon and trap them around the edges of the pot and mash them until I get the creamy texture I'm looking for. Roughly a cup though. Then that half stick butter brings all that mash together. Mashing them around the edges works better for me. Less mess and less time

Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky