Bypass Surgery for the MES 30

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oh ya, forgot . . . changed the rigid 24" connector from cold smoker to main box and replaced it with 8' expanding tube. Now if/when I cold smoke and I need to cool the smoke, I can run the line out longer and maybe put a fan on it, like SonnyE. Thnks Sonny for the great ideas.

Reactions: SonnyE
Oh ya, forgot . . . changed the rigid 24" connector from cold smoker to main box and replaced it with 8' expanding tube. Now if/when I cold smoke and I need to cool the smoke, I can run the line out longer and maybe put a fan on it, like SonnyE. Thnks Sonny for the great ideas.

You're welcome.
Glad you could find them useful to you.

With this switch in "bypass-mode" the MES controller could still be turned on correct? You would want to make sure you didn't try to turn the MES controller on simultaneously to running a PID, Correct?

"With this switch in "bypass-mode" the MES controller could still be turned on correct? You would want to make sure you didn't try to turn the MES controller on simultaneously to running a PID, Correct?"

No. Not correct.
With my switch in 'Bypass Mode', the digital electric control only see's a source of electricity when the external controller is supplying power to the element.
As soon as the external controller cycles off (is satisfied) the original digital electric control is shut off, and goes dark (if you were to push the On/Off button when the power is applied to the heating element).

So you could mess with the OEM control while there is power applied. But it gets shut off and goes away.
Also, the OEM controller can't do anything because the relay it operates is bypassed, or think of it as jumpered out.
It is non-functional as far as controlling the element.

However, the Over-temperature Snap Disc is still (and always) in play, so the Safety to stop the smoker from running away, burning down, or causing a fire is always there.
It is actually on the Neutral circuit for the element, not the Line side.

Great. That reply is exactly what I'm looking for. Had planned to do a total bypass and hard wire the heating element to the power supply (based on another thread). Now, I think I will do this. My smoker is a MES40 Gen1. Figured I would get a 20amp switch to cover the larger heating element.

Exactly what SonnyE said . . . here's a pic of the final controller I put together. The MES power cord simply plugs into a receptacle in the rear of the controller. The external controller just acts as a switch according to it's temp probe - either full power on to the MES or power OFF. SonnyE's method preserves the factory over-heat protection.
Smoker Control.jpg

Great. That reply is exactly what I'm looking for. Had planned to do a total bypass and hard wire the heating element to the power supply (based on another thread). Now, I think I will do this. My smoker is a MES40 Gen1. Figured I would get a 20amp switch to cover the larger heating element.

Having an over-rated switch is always a good idea. 10 amps is what I'm using, because I had it and it's sufficient.
But is 20 amps better? Heck yeah!
Enjoy! And under no circumstances, do not compromise the over temperature device in the smoker. ;)

Exactly what SonnyE said . . . here's a pic of the final controller I put together. The MES power cord simply plugs into a receptacle in the rear of the controller. The external controller just acts as a switch according to it's temp probe - either full power on to the MES or power OFF. SonnyE's method preserves the factory over-heat protection.
View attachment 381409

Oh! I like that Ell Jay! Beautiful finished PID controller!
I accidentally cremated my Inkbird's sensor yesterday. :(
So, now I only have the original MES control.
I set it for 100 (Lowest setting) and did my 4 hour Cold smoking of my bacon I've been makin.
I was satisfied with the 4 hour run, and really happy with my taste tests this morning.
So I'm calling mine "Done!"

I had my Inkbirds sensor low in my MES 30 for faster reaction time to the elements heat. Still had quite a bit of drift upwards, more than I want actually. It fell and although didn't touch the element, it got cooked.
And it is molded into the Inkbirds housing, so doubtfull a different sensor could be adapted. Maybe, but maybe not.

So I believe I will go the expense and get a PID to replace the Inkbird. I'd like something with a proportional output so I can set the ramp up time longer to get a tighter band of heater control. Instead of all on - all off.
Actually, I have pretty near all the components to build myself an Arduino temperature controller. So I think I'll try that.
I bought extras of everything when I built a remote focuser control for my telescope. One of those was a sensor for -67 degrees F to +257 degrees F.
And in my real world, I have yet to go over 225 degrees for my cooking, so far. But I may just get a higher temperature probe to give the full spectrum Masterbuilt, or the manufacturer, built into the MES.

Humm....

Having an over-rated switch is always a good idea. 10 amps is what I'm using, because I had it and it's sufficient.
But is 20 amps better? Heck yeah!
Enjoy! And under no circumstances, do not compromise the over temperature device in the smoker. ;)

Just performed this procedure and hooked up the PID. Now every time the PID sends power to the burner the MES control board beeps. So now as it’s flickering the burner I get a bunch of beeps! Anyone else had this issue? It’s not the end of the world, just kinda annoying.

Just performed this procedure and hooked up the PID. Now every time the PID sends power to the burner the MES control board beeps. So now as it’s flickering the burner I get a bunch of beeps! Anyone else had this issue? It’s not the end of the world, just kinda annoying.

Hasn't happened to me. But look on the bright side, you can hear that yours is working. ;)

:eek: Ducks... Runs..... :eek:

Hasn't happened to me. But look on the bright side, you can hear that yours is working. ;)

:eek: Ducks... Runs..... :eek:

Found a quick fix by pulling the disconnect plug form the control panel at the top of the smoker. I’ll be using the smoker with the PID the majority of the time, but if I want to run it normal. I can just plug that panel back in.

Thanks for posting this solution!

Found a quick fix by pulling the disconnect plug form the control panel at the top of the smoker. I’ll be using the smoker with the PID the majority of the time, but if I want to run it normal. I can just plug that panel back in.

Thanks for posting this solution!

Always glad to help and share.
If you were to use a DPST switch, you could do the Bypass on one side, and do an interrupt to the stock controller on the other side. (Or a DPDT switch :rolleyes: )

Flip one switch, Bypass the control relay, and stop the annoyance. Flip it back and everything is normal.

OK, so today's goal turned to making my MES 30 be optional to be cord controlled, or standard controlled.
Retired from 42 + years in the Electrical field, I've seen a couple of things, and done a couple of things. And no matter what it is, there is probably a couple of million ways to do it.

Here's mine....
1. Step one was to find the controls in the guts, the element, then figure a way around so it can be cord controlled, with an Auber Control, or my simplistic way an Inkbird Itc-308 digital temperature controller.
And to do so in a manner that would not modify, nor nay-gate the warranty. In plain Engrish, easily removable and restore-able to OEM.
And to do so maintaining safety features like the over temperature Snap-disc element cut-out switch, which is a vital safety device.

2. Nice! My MES 30 has Phillips head screws for the element cover on the back, and for a plastic cover on the bottom where the control printed circuit board is housed. My first peek in was the back, found the elements connections. They are pretty tightly wrapped, having heat shrink tubing fully covering the connections.

(Click on any picture to enlarge it.)

Box 1 Element Connections

View attachment 356485
No reasons to disturb these, I moved on to the Main circuit board/control cover on the bottom of my version. Laying the MES 30 on it's chip feeder side gave me ready access to the bottom.
Incidentally, the Yellow/green wire is an equipment ground. it is just routed behind the element connections, and terminates on a case anchor point for the element. Do Not Disturb.

Box 2 The Main Control PC Board (printed circuit board)
View attachment 356486
Okey Dokey, now we are getting somewhere. See the little black box to the right? That is a control relay. The Black wire is the hot leg of the cord. It feeds 120 VAC power into the MES. The red lead goes directly to the heating element. When heating is called for, that relay closes and applies power to the element.
The White wire is the Neutral of the power cord. It connects the neutral side of the control transformer (center), and feeds directly to the Blue wire. The blue wire goes to the Over Temperature Switch (Snap-disc), then to the heating element via the black wire seen in Box 1. Typical in control circuits like this where the safety side is Normally closed, except if needed to shut down a bad situation. Like over temperature.

Let's take a moment here. Recall the tiny wires that plug connected to the control on top? (MES 30, top rear control) Well those, and the Temperature probe are plug connected on the left side of the PC board.
Picture 3
View attachment 356487
These connectors are also secured with a dab of silicone glue.
Do Not Disturb. I'm only showing you these for informational purposes.
If at some time you need to replace the PC board then you would remove these. But only then.

Proofing the element circuit, I connected my Ohm Meter to the disconnected Red and Blue wires. This reads through the Element, back through the Snap-disc Over temp safety switch, and to the Neutral side of the Elements circuit.
View attachment 356490 View attachment 356491
18.6 Ohms, continuity.
Circuit good, Element good, Snap-disc closed.

Now for my method of being able to By-Pass the OEM control, and allow my external Temperature Control to function. (Auber, or Inkbird)
A simple switch, rated for 10 amps is what I have. My MES 30 has an 800 watt element. It needs 6.66 Amps at 120 VAC. So I chose to use a switch rated for more amps than it requires, as well as the nominal voltage of 120 VAC.
Simply stated, Amps (I) = Watts (800) / Volts (120) 6.66 = 800/120

View attachment 356492 View attachment 356493

I merely put my switch in Parallel with the contacts of the OEM control relay. When my switch is in the "ON" position, it bypasses the control relay, and applies power to the element when plugged in. Which is where the external (Auber, or Inkbird) controller comes into play. Put their sensor into the smoker oven, and they control the heater element, by powering the plug and cord on or off.

Switch the Bypass switch to "OFF" position, and Wa-La, the OEM MES control comes into play, and the Smoker Oven functions with it's normalcy.

OK, say you have a lapse and plug it in direct, and the bypass switch is closed, what happens?
Well, this is why there is a safety device called a Snap-disc in the oven. When it gets too hot, the safety switch opens and interrupts the heating element until the Snap-disc cools enough to reset itself.
So if you were to plug it in, and try to use the OEM control, but the temperature keeps rising, you're in bypass mode. Check the Bypass switch.

So this is the way I chose to be able to run my smoker oven with either control method.
Let's call it, The Bypass Method

My goal was to be able to control the element with an external temperature control, specifically below 100 degrees, for things like Cheese smoking with a small amount (above Ambient, below 100°) of heat.
My Inkbird has a high range of 210°. But if I want something out of range for the Inkbird, I simply switch to regular MES control mode.
But within Ambient to 210°, the Inkbird has a 1 degree +/- resolution.
Close enough for the fish I smoke... ;)

freerider78,
I'm confused. What is the reason for the above quote from a thread that has been dormant for 4 years?

Reactions: 912smoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky