Buttermilk Asiago Cheese Bread

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokenharley

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Lancaster Co., PA
This is my favorite bread of all the breads I make. It goes extremely well with spicy foods since it tends to mellow the flavor a bit. On it's own, with real butter, it melts in your mouth. A bit of tang from the buttermilk and the sweetness of the Asiago make a wonderful marriage.

And in the tradition of posting a Qvue I'll provide the same for the bread thread.

The yeast is working well; really foamy. Pretty boring eh?

IMG_2707.JPG

Dough ready for the rise. With the cheese it takes between 1.5 & 2 hours for the rise. Normally most of my breads rise in an hour or so but, I think the cheese retards the rise a bit.

IMG_2708.JPG

Nearly a two hour rise and now in the pan for another half hour.

IMG_2709.JPG

An egg wash and a garnish of more Asiago and we head to the oven.

IMG_2710.JPG
IMG_2710.JPG

Out to cool.......

IMG_2712.JPG

IMG_2717.JPG

Now ready to pair this with some venison summer sausage.

IMG_2718.JPG

The bread is rather dense due to the cheese but, still maintains a good crumb. I find 45-50 minutes at 360 is optimal for this bread. If you are interested in my recipe, I'll be glad to post it.

Here ya go guys - enjoy!

Ingredients

¼ cup of warm water

1 package (1 3/4 teaspoons) yeast

2 cups buttermilk

2 tablespoons granulated sugar

1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt

¾ stick unsalted butter

4 cups bread flour

1 egg

8oz package Asiago cheese

Combine the water, sugar, & yeast and let it proof for approximately 10 minutes. During that time shred about 6 ounces of the cheese and set aside. Melt the butter for the next step.

Add the buttermilk, butter, & salt and mix together. Begin adding flour 1 cup at a time. After the second cup I begin slowly adding the cheese to the mix. Continue adding flour and cheese until you have a firm dough. For me it is about 4 cups but you surely can adjust as needed. At this stage I knead for 8-10 minutes.

Place the dough (lightly floured on top) in a covered bowl and let rise for 1.5 to 2 hours. I have found with the cheese it takes a bit longer for the rise. Next, shape into a loaf, place it in the pan, and let it proof for an additional 30 minutes.

Shred the remaining 2 ounces of the cheese. Make an egg wash and cover the top of the loaf followed by the remaining shredded cheese. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until done.

Cool and enjoy

Reactions: SGMan and jaxgatorz
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky