ButterBall Sucks!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gunslinger

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
I smoked 4 turkeys for our dinner at work on Wednesday. One was a 10 lb Butterball, and the others were cheapies. We all bring either a bird, butt, brisket or other dish for the occasion. This year it was all turkeys.
I brined the cheap ones in salt, sugar, garlic, onion, cayenne, black pepper, and apple juice. I did not use butter under the skin or any other seasoning on the skin. Not because I didn't want to. I just forgot. I did nothing to the Butterball. I must say, and it was unanimous at work too, the Butterball sucked compared to the brined birds. I wish I would have taken pics. They were so succulent.
I had a Dr. appointment right after lunch, and when I came back there was 4 guys picking at the carcasses.
Our family Thanksgiving is Friday, and they want deep fried turkeys. I guess I will accommodate them. Too bad they won't get any smoked Turkey. Oh well, their loss.
Do yourselves a favor. Save your money and NEVER buy a Butterball.

My experience with Butterballs is that the brine needed to have the salt reduced by about half. That way they were not too salty. The brine brings so many other things to the party that I think it is still worth the effort.

Just my $0.02.

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

hello hello,
i've always had good luck with store brands or cheapies.

i have a neighbor---
who doesnt like birds of any kind..

request my smoked turkey..

he likes it no cure no brine no rub right out of bag

he still will not eat chicken... he worked on chicken farm

I used a honeysuckle white turkey it was a fresh turkey and was 98 cents per pound and came out awsome

honeysucklewhitech4.jpg

I found a fresh butterball turkey at Costco. I brined and smoked it and it came out wonderful. The dark and white meats were very moist and cut with a fork. Butterball recommends to only brine the fresh turkeys because the frozen ones have been "prepared'.

Sigma Man

My Butterball was frozen, and I've heard that you're not supposed to brine them. It was tough and not juicy at all.
I did fry a Honeysuckle White that I injected with my homemade teriyaki sauce and it was fantastic.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky