Butt Today - Tired of the Cold - Almost Spring

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

meowey

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jul 16, 2006
Northern NY (Adirondacks)
Howdy Folks,

It's been downright cold here this past week. On Wednesday March 7th we were the cold spot in the nation at -34F. Yesterday we were -29F. I'm tired of this stuff. (Using a polite word) The forecast said that today (Sat the 10th) we are going to get up to almost +40F. Woo-hoo! I pulled a butt out of the freezer on Wed eve. Last night I rubbed it with my own rub.

(Rub recipe attachement is in MS Word format.)
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...1&d=1156551511

Threw it in the GOSM this AM. Smoking with hickory. I may switch to apple after foiling the butt and putting some "Wicked Beans" in the smoker. Ambient air temp at smoker start was +12F. It has since warmed up to +25F. Smoker settled in at 225-235F. Added a fatty and a block of scrapple after an hour and a half. (That's for lunch)

Hour 1 1/2

butthour1xt1.jpg

Hope you all have a great smokey day!!

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

I'm with you guys! We've little snow but lots of ice and cold! Heat wave today though I was playing outside in my T-shirt it was 42!

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeha!

Allright Meowey, looking good up there in the frozen northland
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Does the rub on these baby backs look familiar to you?
biggrin.gif

Rodger - I do recognize that rub.

Folks,

Here are some more pics. Sorry I didn't take a "presentation plate" pic. I had my boss over for dinner and did not want to hold things up.

Hour 3

butthour3mt2.jpg

Hour 5

butthour5gf2.jpg

Just before foiling

buttprefoilon9.jpg

The fatty and smoked scrapple were lunch.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

The high temp for the day was 45F. Woo-hoo!
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Regards,

Meowey

BTW - The boss loves my BBQ!

Looking good meowey!! I hear you on the weather front...this is the time of year where I'm saying enough is enough dagnabbit!!
PDT_Armataz_01_35.gif
Suppose to be almost 60 deg by wensday here, and should be headed in your direction.

That just ain't right
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif
....lol

Here is the Wiki article on scrapple.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrapple

I usually slice it and fry it crisp in butter and eat it with maple syrup on it, along with some fried eggs. Today I threw a brick in the smoker. The texture is so soft that you can see the deep grate marks in it. The smoke did add to it. The next time I smoke scrapple I think I will pre slice it and place it on a shallow baking sheet to keep it from falling through the grate.

Regards,

Meowey

I gotta agree enough with the cold !!!! today was beautiful ,,little clody ,,,some peeks of sunshine and in the 40`s maybe 50 ?? 60 around the corner !!! yippppe ok nice pic`s meowey ,,,, mine are posted under another thread i did called ~~~ Today`s smoke !! ok enjoy all
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I too am tired of the cold. It was gorgeous here on the ninth returning home from work. Today, was very overcast and bouts of rain. Went ahead with doing some ribs and taters. As an after thought threw on some hard boiled's. Today because of the weather I cheated some. Did the ribs and eggs in the electric "sausage maker" about hour and half for the ribs to get some smoke. Heat was at 130 ish. Took them off and in the oven. Made homemade Q sauce. Ketchup, vinegar, Worstshire (or however you spell it), some hot sauce, beer!!!!, garlic and onion powder. Cooked ribs in oven for two hours uncovered at 225. Then covered for an hour. Started the horizontal thinking I was gonna finish the ribs on it. Put taters on the horizontal (rubbed with bacon fat, sprinkled with seasonings). Ready to put ribs on horizontal and I could barely pick them up without falling apart. Instead decided to baste and leave in oven last hour. Ribs--awesome, lightly smoked, yummy rub, good Q suace. Taters---always a hit, charred smokey, what a mess with butter and sour cream. Eggs---gonna go for second opinion tomorrow with lunch. Saved some ribs and sauce, gonna pull it apart for a sandwich. Cheers to all, SPRING AHEAD!!!!!!!!!!

DeejayDebi,

The boss loves my BBQ. Unfortunatly she is not involved in determining my compensation.

Regards,

Meowey

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky