Butt Foil w/ honey, anyone done it?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

HHYak

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 13, 2019
I have a butt to do soon for a party, and for some reason I got to thinking about adding honey to the top of the butt along with my wooshy/Apple Juice mixture when I foil it, just like I do on ribs. I am going to be rubbing with a modified version of Billbow's rub with half the normal paprika. Has anyone tried doing this? I wonder if its worth trying or if I would just end up wasting honey...

Thanks for the heads up, it sounds good. I think I might try it. I was thinking of using a # type pattern or like syrup on a pancake (reasonable adult, not my 9 year old). Does that sound about right?

Thanks for the heads up, it sounds good. I think I might try it. I was thinking of using a # type pattern or like syrup on a pancake (reasonable adult, not my 9 year old). Does that sound about right?

That sounds good. Make sure you post some pics for us. We like pics.

I just wrapped it after 12.5 hours, put apple juice and wooshy on the bottom with some honey drizzled on the top. I was too tired to get pics, we will see how it goes.

The first Foil Juice I made, for Ribs or Butts, used Honey...JJ

Foiling Juice

For each Rack of Ribs Combine:

1T Pork Rub, yours
1/2 Stick Butter
1/2C Honey... Cane Syrup... or Dark Corn Syrup.
1/4C Apple Cider...or Juice
1T Molasses

Optional: 2T Apple Cider Vinegar. (RECOMMENDED )!
Other, Add 2T Mustard and 1/4C Ketchup to make it more of a KC Glaze.

Simmer until a syrupy consistency.

Allow to cool for 5 minutes, pour over foiled Ribs and

run your 2 hour phase of 3-2-1. For the last phase return

the ribs to the smoker BUT reserve any Juice remaining in the Foil. Simmer the Juice over med/low heat to reduce to a saucy thickness. Glaze the Ribs for presentation or service.

Reactions: Bamabww and HHYak
When I foyal butts I always put them in a foyal pan and add equal parts apple juice and ACV with a splash of honey and a half stick of butter per butt. Cover with foyal I always add the collected juices back into the meat after pulling.

The first Foil Juice I made, for Ribs or Butts, used Honey...JJ

Thanks for the heads up on this! I am definitely going to be trying this soon!

When I foyal butts I always put them in a foyal pan and add equal parts apple juice and ACV with a splash of honey and a half stick of butter per butt. Cover with foyal I always add the collected juices back into the meat after pulling.

Gotta try this too!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky