Butcher's Twine/String

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

evo 9 guy

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 25, 2009
California
I am in a pinch. I need some butcher's twine for a smoke tonight, but there are no stores around me that have butcher's twine, but there is a home depot and they do have twine. Is there a drawback to using just standard twine since the temperatures are so low?

I don't know that there is a difference other than maybe size...

I have used the white nylon from HD a couple of times. In a pinch I used some of my wife's white thread just had to wrap extra turns

I love the "cooking rubber bands," I think they're made out of silicone. You can probably find them in the grocery store.

A butcher shop would probably give you some if you asked...
biggrin.gif

I'd want to use the most natural material I could find. I'd be inclined to use cotton. I suspect HD would have some and I think that's what butcher's twine is anyway. Heck the dollar store probably has some, too.

I have gotten hunks of it from the grocery store meat counter too. I asked where in the store it was, and they said they didn't carry it, but the butcher said hang on a minute, and I'll go get you some. He reeled off about 20 ft of it and handed it to me. That's the way it should be.

Just get regular string from home depot like I told you to...

PS i work with him and just saying this because he has been worrying about this all day

I bought a BIG lot of white cotton shoe strings from an auction that
was selling hospital equipment. For nurse's shoes in sealed bags.
WORKS GREAT !! Just make sure U trim the plastic ends off before throwing in the bbq.. Hemi.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

drug store like near the mailing supplies for tieing packages.

chalk box refill string

stores are funny in that they dont know what they have or where they keep it

Yes that was my experience as well at Publix when I needed some twine. I have a big spool of cotton twine but was in the middle of a move and didn't have it available.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky