Butcher trimmed this wagyu brisket for me

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Anthony21078

Original poster
Aug 16, 2020
Picked up a 19lb American wagyu brisket from Snake River Farms at a local butcher. I've only trimmed a handful of briskets in my time so I would never consider myself pro. But, I've never removed the entire big piece of fat between the point and flat where the two pieces can be separated like in the picture. The fat cap on the bottom is perfect. Is this the right way to trim that fat?

Attachments

• 20210701_011800.jpg
    20210701_011800.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 161
  • 20210701_011806.jpg
    20210701_011806.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 161
Reactions: uncle eddie
I have never trimmed 1 that way, that said if I were cooking them separate I reckon that's what I would do. I wouldn't trim that way if cooking all together . probably turn out great either way imo.

Different strokes for different folks I guess but I would have left the two attached.
Now if he was trimming BEFORE I paid for the fat weight then that would be a different matter, what with the cost per lb.

I have done it that way before, when I’m going to make burnt ends with the point, otherwise I just leave that grain of fat in there.
Al

I leave them together , but get whatever hard fat I can from the side .
He did a nice job .

Picked up a 19lb American wagyu brisket from Snake River Farms at a local butcher. I've only trimmed a handful of briskets in my time so I would never consider myself pro. But, I've never removed the entire big piece of fat between the point and flat where the two pieces can be separated like in the picture. The fat cap on the bottom is perfect. Is this the right way to trim that fat?
I do it that way - as long as it’s not completely detached it cooks the same - makes the burnt end process a bit cleaner IMO but lots of ways to skin the cat.

I will cook it "whole" but if I am in a hurry I will spit the tip to help speed up the cook a little plus I do like to be able to season it on both sides.

That's a great video. Thanks for sharing. I try to get as much of the hard fat off of it as well.

Keep in mind that quite a few very well know pit masters don't trim at all, they just season with whatever dry rub they choose and plop the brisket into the smoker and then trim whatever fat the customer does not want on their slices.
Me I love the fat in/on the point end, that's where the flavor is.
After cooking whole, the hard fat reduces by at least 50% and is very easy to trim.

Whos to say what is the right or wrong way. This is not the way I do it as I leave it together, or else I split apart completely and cook them separately. But after seeing this it is making be rethink that. I can see the benefit. Rather brilliant actually if you plan to separate them later anyway when slicing. With Wagyu, you can certainly get away with trimming off more fat that a typical brisket so this makes sense.

Hopefully you kept the trim of that Wagyu and the butcher didn't just throw it away? Even the hard fat?

It was 9.99 a pound. I definitely kept all the fat for burgers and sausage in my grinder. About 3.5lbs of fat. The flat and point are not completely separated and still attached.

I watched few trimming videos but didn't see one trimmed like this. However, one mentioned being able to add your rub in between the cuts if you remove most of this fat. I was planning on keeping the brisket whole and not making burnt ends.

Attachments

• 20210701_012055.jpg
    20210701_012055.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 108
^ I trimmed the hard fat out of my last brisket and kept them attached. I thought I could get more rub on the meat. Not sure if it made much of difference or not. Probably helped with less grease in smoker.

I leave them together , but get whatever hard fat I can from the side .
He did a nice job .
Me too. if the fat between the flat and the point is thick and hard, i cut most of it out...which is most of the time.

15 hours @ 225F with lump charcoal and hickory wood. Wrapped at 175. Point was incredibly juicy and probe tender at 203 (First time probing this brisket). Flat was juicy, but still had a tad bit of resistance with the probe at 203. Not sure why, but I wound up pulling it off.

Rested 45 min on the counter while venting it and internal temp dropped to 175ish. Wrapped again and held it in the oven @ 170F for 3 hours (finished early). In the cooler for 4 hours while I brought it to a family bbq. Not one piece left, everyone loved it.

Question, if the flat wasn't giving me that "knife through butter" feel with the probe, should I have left it in smoker for a more degrees? Or did I wind up pulling too late? I was unable to start probing in the 190 range because I was sleeping. Temp alarm was set to 200

Attachments

• 20210704_173104.jpg
    20210704_173104.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 20210704_173108.jpg
    20210704_173108.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 20210705_121341.jpg
    20210705_121341.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 20210705_162451.jpg
    20210705_162451.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 20210705_162500.jpg
    20210705_162500.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
That looks excellent. Nice smoke ring and bark. Very juicy too. Not sure why the Flat would be tougher than the rest. Great job.

Reactions: Anthony21078
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky