1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Butcher shop Venison

Discussion in 'Wild Game' started by Jls0412430, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Jls0412430

Jls0412430 Newbie

Hello everyone,

I picked my deer up at the shop today, found out they put 15% pork trimmings into it. Would this be alright for snack sticks, or should I add more pork? What cuts do you recommend. Thanks!!

2. In my own unprofessional opinion it'll be good. Ive made with up to 20 percent. You need the fat content

3. JckDanls 07

JckDanls 07 Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member

myself.. I would add more fat ... at least another 5% up to 10% more...

4. pc farmer

pc farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

I would add more. My favorite is venison, pork and beef all together. Equal amounts

5. crazymoon

crazymoon Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

JLS, I agree with the other members about adding more fat, I like about 30% when you are using trim and about 25% when you are using backfat.

6. Jls0412430

Jls0412430 Newbie

Thanks everyone! Does anyone have any suggestions of meat cuts that i can pick up at the local grocery store and ground into it?

7. crazymoon

crazymoon Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

JLS, Any fatty pork product(pork butt/pork shoulder) or ask the butcher if they have any pork back fat or pork trim for sale.

8. tallbm

tallbm Master of the Pit

Hi there and welcome!

I would ask the butcher to sell you X amount of pounds of ground pork fat that way you don't have to grind yourself and you can get right to mixing and stuffing :)