BUTCHER PAPER VS. FOIL VS. NOTHING

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'll wrap with foil about 4hrs into the stall and then unwrap at about 190 if I want a crispy bark. Most of the time however I just leave it wrapped. I usually wrap with foil and then a towel before putting in a cooler because typically I'm transporting the butt elsewhere and it rests anywhere between 1hr and 5hrs in a cooler. Additionally, during the stall/wrap timeframe, I mix some brown sugar with some homemade apple pie (the adult beverage) and pour it onto the butt. Even when I keep it wrapped for long periods of time, it still has bark. it's just not crispy.

When I first started smoking, I wrapped at the stall. I didn't care for bark and just wanted juicy pulled pork.

Then I tried not wrapping. The crunchy bark was addicting, but the meat was a little dry on my first attempt. Most likely undercooked.

Then I started wrapping at an IT of 180F. A nice firm bark, not crunchy, and juicy meat.

Then I figured out how to get juicy meat and a crunchy bark (225F overnight, 275-300F finish). My wife doesn't like crunchy bark, so I GET IT ALL! (Unless the kids are visiting, then the bark disappears as fast as I can shred the meat.)
So do you not wrap it at all now? Also do you sprite or mop if your not wrapping?

I wrap at the stall in foil along with a 1/4 cp apple juice.I cook till it has IT of 180* remove foil and cook till IT is 190*-195* and bark has crusted over and then make finishing sauce while pork is cooling then pull pork add finishing sauce and eat best pulled pork sandwiches ever

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky