Busy Day w/QView (Weird meat, though)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pokey

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
Monroe Twp, NJ
Friday on the way home from work we deecided to stop at Western Beef to see what we might find for the smoker this weekend. We found a lot, although I have my doubts about the quality (more on that later). We got a pork shoulder, beef ribs, pork ribs and a huge chuck, all of which got cooked in a full day yesterday.

At 9:00 I started the 6.47 lb Shoulder (butt) after it sat in the fridge with a coating of Memphis Dust. I had made a lot of this. I like it, but I finally used it up and will try Jeff's naked rub next.) I loaded the Traeger with BBQers Delight pecan and set it to 250* and by 11:30 IT was 143*.

b85c73de_DSC_4060.jpg

At noon:15 I put in the beef and pork ribs and slowed things down to 225*. The pork rib was also coated with Memphis Dust, the beef with my own beef rub. The plan was to do a 4-1-1 cook of both kinds of ribs.

0f016c2c_DSC_4058.jpg

4f5a20ef_DSC_4059.jpg

2f465e1c_DSC_4063.jpg

0b650af8_DSC_4064.jpg

At around 4:30, I pulled the ribs, foiled them and put them in the oven at 225*. I started the chuckie at that point, turning the temp back up to 250*. This is what the ribs looked like going into the oven. That butt in the back was looking good. (I don't foil butts.)

aa1a80a1_DSC_4066.jpg

And the almost 6 lb chuckie:

c5347945_DSC_4061.jpg

c7f385a7_DSC_4067.jpg

At around 6:00 the butt was at 203, so I took that out, making room for the ribs to go back in. This meant they were going to be getting a 4-1.5-1 cook, not too far off plan. The butt went into foil, a towel and a styrofoam cooler to sit for a while.

We ate the beef ribs for dinner. I was a little disappointed in the taste and in the texture. They could have been a little moister. The consistency was a bit weird, maybe a little rubbery. They look great, though.

57addbca_DSC_4075.jpg

810d7330_DSC_4077.jpg

I pulled the pork and vac sealed it for later. The consistency varied from a little tough to separate to mushy. I also felt I was smelling something like organ meat. We haven't eaten any as of yet, though. There was more waste than I'm used to, also, both gristle and fat.

b6f99f71_DSC_4078.jpg

The pork ribs were sliced and set aside for a meal later in the week. There was a weird little piece that was under the ribs in the package. I think they just average down the quality by doing that.

2527838c_DSC_4073.jpg

The chuckie hit 160* around 7:00, only 3 hours in. I foiled it and cooked inside at 245* with a little red wine for moisture until IT hit 202* around 10:30, so it cooked for a little over 6 hours total. I let it it sit for an hour while I vac sealed some cheese I'd done in the Smokehouse with the AMNS. The chuckie was a little tough to pull, but tasted nice. Almost a third of it was waste, between gristle and fat. I vac sealed it into dinner sized portions and put in the freezer.

59496d5b_DSC_4079.jpg

I'm pleased with the results from a technique standpoint, mostly, but I don't think I'm going back there for meat ever again. I'm still concerned about that organ smell with the pork. I sampled everything as I went, and this morning I've got a sour stomach. I don't know if it's just from too much richness in one night, or if something isn't quite right. We'll see.

Thanks for looking, and as always, any suggestions for improvement are welcomed.

Last edited:
Great q view.

If something smells bad ,Especially After cooking .Throw it out!

Not worth anyone getting sick over a hunk of meat.

Sounds like western packer is selling low grade meat?

Yah, and if you look at the pic of the chuck still in its cryovac packaging, there's a membrane across the top that I haven't seen on chucks before. It doesn't look very fatty, though. The chunks of fat and loads of gristle were all inside.

Also, when I tried to remove the membrane from the isnide of the beef ribs, it seemed like peeling back the layers of an onion. I'd remove a membrane and find another underneath. When I removed that, it seemed like yet another one. I just decided I was done after three of 'em.

I might chuck the butt. (pardon the expression)

Beef Chuck Top Blade Roast Boneless

Beef chuck top blade roast boneless is a triangular-shaped cut taken from above the blade bone. It is naturally boneless, with large amounts of connective tissue. It is usually prepared by braising.

/mfy/templates/MealsForYou/images/meatcuts/Image62.jpg

This is not like a normal chuck roast. pic didnt copy

icon_cool.gif

Man oh Man I wish that I was your neighbor. Now you smoke looks big and really yummO too. I smoke those long bone short ribs here alot and they are so good too. Now I have found that smoking them by temp they come out really good and really tender too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky