Burnt ends

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

newsmokerky

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 25, 2014
Bowling Green
So tell me about burnt ends. I'm gonna do a whole brisket in a couple weeks. Per suggestion, I'm gonna trim the flat and do burnt ends with it. New endeavor for me. Details please!

I mentioned to newsmokerky newsmokerky a while back that when trimming a brisket I always recommend cutting away a major portion of the thin area of the flat in a way that leaves the rest of the flat as uniform in thickness as possible since the thin portion of the flat will very very likely just burn/crust up and become trash as the thicker portions continue to cook. I usually post this image as an example of what I mean :)
full

Then with that big piece of trimmed away flat you could throw it in the smoker and do burnt ends out of it as a way to use up that 1-2+ pound portion of the flat.

I believe that is where the confusion came from.

My intention was not to try and change the approach that people regularly use to take the point and turn it into burnt ends. I was just giving an option for what to do with the big trimmed off portion of the flat since people may not have a grinder or know what to do with it :)

The idea is to follow the burnt end cooking process with that big trimmed flat piece and smoke it while the rest of the brisket is smoking. Before the trimmed flat piece is done you pull it, cube it, sauce it (add seasoning or whatever you like as well) and return it to finish. I personally would consider wrapping it in foil for an hour to an hour and a half and then unwrapping to let everything caramelize for about 30 min and pull it.
Meanwhile the rest of the whole packer is cooking away to become sliced brisket :)

I hope this helps clear up some confusion :)

Reactions: hoity toit
You can also grind up the trimmed thin pieces of the flat for burgers - most excellent flavor, and gives you something to munch on while the brisket cooks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky