Burnt ends

Discussion in 'Grilling Beef' started by brinkpaul, Jan 4, 2016.

1. brinkpaul

brinkpaul Newbie

Hey everyone I've cooked a couple briskets this past summer and they turned out pretty good but I didn't attempt burnt ends. I wanna try that out and was wondering if it's beneficial or even recommended to separate the point and the flat before smoking.gonna be using a propane smoker in cold and snowy buffalo ny. Thinking it may cut down on cooking get time I'd I cook them separate.

2. forluvofsmoke

forluvofsmoke Smoking Guru OTBS Member

When I have a packer and a big enough grate size I separate when the point reaches about 150-155*...gives slower cooking with better chances for natural moisture retention in the meat, along with self-basting with the fat-cap. Finish the flat however you like once separated (foil, or don't), but rest the point for 20-30 minutes on a board and commence cubing it up, toss in sauce in a bowl and return to open grates until the sauce caramelizes and browns nicely (about 2.5hrs @ 225*). They have a moist, tender chew with a light pop, complimented by a nice crispy exterior...great texture variances. Everyone has their personal preferences as to how they like their BEs, but everyone around here loves 'em this way. Once I learned this method, I quickly learned not to change it by comments from those who dined on them. BTW, I rarely use sauce when cooking my BBQ meats...this is one of the few times that I do.

If you make your burnt ends with too high of internal temp in the point before cubing it up the meat can become dried-out from overcooking. Some finish BEs in a pan dowsed in sauce after taking the point to a higher temp before cubing...just not my thing...seems so wrong to me, but, everyone has their preferences.

Eric

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  3. brinkpaul

brinkpaul Newbie

Great advice I'll try it out thanks

4. forluvofsmoke

forluvofsmoke Smoking Guru OTBS Member

You're welcome! Let us know if you like it this way, or, don't like it...(always like to know what others preferences are). And, I just may learn something along the way, too.

Eric