burnt ends

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Smoke the brisket as normal. Separate the point from the flat. Cube the point into 1" cubes. Add additional rub and sauce and return to the smoker at a slightly higher temp for a few hours. Here are some I made tonight:

bc1a3308_photo-29.jpg

What are burnt ends? Sparky - the following quoted post explains burnt ends...so good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Smoke the brisket as normal. Separate the point from the flat. Cube the point into 1" cubes. Add additional rub and sauce and return to the smoker at a slightly higher temp for a few hours. Here are some I made tonight:

bc1a3308_photo-29.jpg

thanks guys, thats enough info for me to try it..............well maybe after vacation!!!!!!!
But wait (I had a couple hour power failure, or I would have got this up sooner...power outage cut me off before I could save my post...just found out my UPS has a very weak battery)...

...from this:

18c98268_2818hr.jpg

(tubular muscle of the point, and inter-muscular fat...why they make such good BE's when done right)

a8d547c6_59BE.jpg

(light drizzle of sauce and tossed in the bowl to coat well)

0cbd352e_66BE.jpg

(3 hours back into the Smoke Vault 24)

3ce8f43c_99BEs.jpg

a5595bb7_102BEs.jpg

23d606c3_106.jpg

..to THIS (BE's with varying levels of bark ((YUMMY!!!)), 2 very thick, tender and moist slices of flat, and a Yukon Gold tater):

8d3b0d56_111.jpg

(pis from my latest double-packer smoke back in late April)

I prefer open-grate second smoke for BE's. Internal temps of the point are everything when pulling the packer for separation. I shoot for the upper 150's to mid 160's range, and get a great interior moisture with a popping tender chew, and the bark is well-developed with a variety from a crispy crunch to slightly chewy. Lots of contrasting textures to tease your senses with this method. We love 'em this way, and open grate is the only way I smoke BE's now.

For more info, check my signature line for packers or BE's...I have several threads with start to finish methods and tips.

Once you try BE's and get a decent batch, you won't be able to smoke a packer often enough...and, unfortunately, there's never enough BE's to go around for a large family or smaller groups, so if you make them for small parties or gatherings, don't dilly-dally with just one packer...they go FAST!!!

Eric

Those look Awesome Eric!!!

Here's some I did awhile back. I like the open grate method also! I tossed these with some spicy chipotle bbq sauce mixed with some brown sugar, heat and sweet!

e64814a7_102_0574.jpg

NICE, Dave! Even the coloring of the cut surface spells HOT! I would love that variation...a few of my kids, and definitely my wife, would not have it, though. Hmm, I could make multiple batches for the same smoke with a sweet & heat, and a toned-down version...hmmmmmmmmmmm...

Thanks for the idea, Dave!

Eric

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky