Burnt Ends Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tman_77

Original poster
May 22, 2020
Ok, first time making Burnt Ends, first time posting here.
Got the point (about 3.5 pounds) trimmed fat, and seasoned night before.
Smoked for about 5.5 hours at 225, pulled when meat temp was 170, wrapped in butcher paper, put back on until meat was 195.
Cubed, and lightly sauced with a little brown sugar, put in foil pan and back in for 90 more minutes.

The taste/color/bark are all great, but, compared to restaurants (Kansas City), the consistency is off. Really good restaurant burnt ends have that bark but inside are very tender, like brisket, sometimes can easily cut with fork or pull apart with hands. Mine are tougher.

Im wondering if its due to size of the meat, online they suggested 6-8 pound point, and about 12 hour total cook. I could only get 3 to 4 lb point, and total cook time was about 9 hours.

Any ideas on if/how you can get that tender consistency on a 3-4 lb brisket point for burnt ends...

Thanks all in advance...

Ok, first time making Burnt Ends, first time posting here.
Got the point (about 3.5 pounds) trimmed fat, and seasoned night before.
Smoked for about 5.5 hours at 225, pulled when meat temp was 170, wrapped in butcher paper, put back on until meat was 195.
Cubed, and lightly sauced with a little brown sugar, put in foil pan and back in for 90 more minutes.

The taste/color/bark are all great, but, compared to restaurants (Kansas City), the consistency is off. Really good restaurant burnt ends have that bark but inside are very tender, like brisket, sometimes can easily cut with fork or pull apart with hands. Mine are tougher.

Im wondering if its due to size of the meat, online they suggested 6-8 pound point, and about 12 hour total cook. I could only get 3 to 4 lb point, and total cook time was about 9 hours.

Any ideas on if/how you can get that tender consistency on a 3-4 lb brisket point for burnt ends...

Thanks all in advance...

I did notice when I was cooking, smoker internal temp was closer to 250 for much of the time...

When I do burnt ends I get the point To where it feels like soft butter while in the wrap (205 to 215 IT). Then I rest the point wrapped in a towel in a cooler for an hours or so.
Remove it from the cooler and cube it up add a little sauce and back on the smoker for a few minutes.

There are many different ways to do burnt ends. Just have to figure out what works best for you.

Good smoking,
Johnny Ray

When I do burnt ends I get the point To where it feels like soft butter while in the wrap (205 to 215 IT). Then I rest the point wrapped in a towel in a cooler for an hours or so.
Remove it from the cooler and cube it up add a little sauce and back on the smoker for a few minutes.

There are many different ways to do burnt ends. Just have to figure out what works best for you.

Good smoking,
Johnny Ray
Thanks all. Ok, may try the wrap/store in a cooler too.

Ok, here's my problem when I read your post - you talk about the consistency of the meat you're LOOKING for, but you didn't say what was WRONG with YOURS.

Were yours too soft? Too crunchy? With a smaller point, it may be tough to get that crunchy outside, soft inside. If it is too thin, it will tend to dry out almost no matter what you do. Developing bark takes drying out and dehydrating and if your meat is thin, this will happen all the way through. Conversely, if it is too thin and you wrap it early to protect it, the bark will not develop.

Brisket is a difficult thing to get right, IMO. A tough cut of meat will make the most seasoned Pitmaster look bad, and sometimes it comes out great with little effort. Almost a crapshoot.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky