Burn times for Chubby 3400 around 5 hours

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foxct

Original poster
May 2, 2020
Hi all, I only get about 5-6 hours of burn in my Backwoods Chubby 3400. I use about half a chimney of Kingsford as starter and fill the tray with Royal Oak lump and some wood chunks. Usually have temperature around 230.

Is 5 hours normal? To get longer burn, just use more lump? I have the tray pretty full. Maybe but a different, bigger charcoal bin?

Thanks

Pretty sure lump burns quicker than briquettes

Pretty sure lump burns quicker than briquettes
Thanks, I started using lump as I read it burns cleaner. I am going to have to try some other brands, other than Royal Oak, or pile the basket as high as possible.

Someone on a FB Masterbuilt smoker site had a cart full of JD Chunkx 20lb bags @ $10ea from walmart. I'll have to check today.

Someone on a FB Masterbuilt smoker site had a cart full of JD Chunkx 20lb bags @ $10ea from walmart. I'll have to check today.
Funny you mention Jealous Devil, as I am currently trying my first long smoke with that brand and got over 7.5 hours of heat over night. I think my problem was the Royal Oak

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky