Burn In

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

babydoc

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 13, 2022
Northern Utah in the Mountains
DCA736EE-ECE1-47DA-BC23-89A23CBCF5CE.jpeg

It’s been two months since I’ve bought this thing. It’s also been cold, and I’ve been busy…but today is the day!

I know there are a lot of strong feelings from a lot of people (pros and cons) for these gravity smokers. Here’s to hoping she works the way she’s supposed to!! I’ve got spare ribs waiting…

I bought and sold a dozen of these last year. One person had some issues and MB sent all the switches and parts for replacement. Everyone else’s is going strong. My buddy churns our consistent excellent bbq that hard to tell apart from stick burner results.

Reactions: babydoc and gmc2003
I bought and sold a dozen of these last year. One person had some issues and MB sent all the switches and parts for replacement. Everyone else’s is going strong. My buddy churns our consistent excellent bbq that hard to tell apart from stick burner results.
That’s really good to hear!

The squeeky wheel gets the grease so they say. For every negative review there are probably a hundred to a thousand or so that have a positive experience. Also remember anytime electronics are involved there is also a slight chance of something not working correctly, and that usually happens at the worst time.

Enjoy that new toy and post up the inaugural cook.

Chris

Tell me you have kids without telling me you have kids.........
We are fostering a lab for a lady that broke her back and had surgery. Now shes in rehab and may possibly be going to a nursing home. He is just tall enough to rest his snout on the counter. He has become my sous chef. If im in the kitchen he has to be right next to me checking things out.
babydoc babydoc how did the ribs turn out?

Jim

I've had my 560 for two years now. I love it as a smoker but don't use it as a grill. My Kettles are better. Replaced the three switches that I bought on Amazon for $20. Other than that, no problem. Its my set/forget smoker and great for the winter when I don't want to sit with the stickburner.

I watched for sales all winter, hoping to upgrade to the 1050. Except for it selling for $480 at Amazon on Black Friday which I regret missing, I've not seen any other sales.

I've had my 560 for two years now. I love it as a smoker but don't use it as a grill. My Kettles are better. Replaced the three switches that I bought on Amazon for $20. Other than that, no problem. Its my set/forget smoker and great for the winter when I don't want to sit with the stickburner.

I watched for sales all winter, hoping to upgrade to the 1050. Except for it selling for $480 at Amazon on Black Friday which I regret missing, I've not seen any other sales.
They are popping up at Walmarts now for around $350

Reactions: Smokin Okie
We are fostering a lab for a lady that broke her back and had surgery. Now shes in rehab and may possibly be going to a nursing home. He is just tall enough to rest his snout on the counter. He has become my sous chef. If im in the kitchen he has to be right next to me checking things out.
babydoc babydoc how did the ribs turn out?

Jim
89D6EBB4-F469-4F97-B1FA-002D16FEF302.jpeg

So, they turned out so-so. Poor smoke ring, and a bit over cooked I feel. All of this is user error. Things that can be tweaked!

Thoughts on the grill… worked great! I used brickettes which is not normally my preference, which I think limited the slow burn and smoke production in the ash bin. I’m gonna try a couple of chunks in the hopper next time. Also going to use the upper grates away from the fire, and knock off probably 30 minutes of cook time.

Heat management on the 1050 was amazing! 0-272F in about 4 minutes. Lots of potential, just gonna need to learn how to work it. That just means extra smokin’ and that’s ok with me.

Overall, I’d give this run a grade of B-.

Still looks pretty good. At least they were edible. Always fun learning a new cooker. looks forward to your next run.

Jim

Reactions: babydoc

I have heard about those switches going bad. I have often wondered if an optical switch would not be more robust for use with those grills. If I knew someone close by with one, I would try rigging it up. Optical switches are usually longer lasting and more robust than mechanical switches and the switches I see on those units are not built for any amount abuse.

That said, I really do like these units.

JC :emoji_cat:

Clean the switches with electric contact cleaner every few cooks. I scored my 800 last year at Walmart for $347. Definitely use chunks or even splits with the charcoal. These things do use some amount of charcoal so load up when on sale. I just picked up 2 - 40lb bundles of cowboy hardwood charcoal for $17.58 ea. at a Walmart in PA.

Reactions: JC in GB

I found mine on Amazon for $600 and was only there for two days. Came with free assembly.

Speaking of…DO NOT have the Amazon “professional” come and assemble anything. I’ve found a few issues with stripped screws, and whatnot. Nobody cares about your stuff like you do. Saved me three hours of assembly…may be fine but I’ll never do that again.

Reactions: Smokin Okie
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky