Burgers 2 Ways - Some Flattop Work

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks great. Congrats on the rotator ride, how do provide fuel to the blackstone? Green bottle or 20 pounder

Thanks FB! 20 pounder, the little green bottles are too apt to run out of gas in the middle of a cook. RAY

WOW Ray! That's a fine looking burger. Congrats on the ride too. If it wasn't for the rotator, I would have missed this one.

Thanks Stu! I was kind of surprised to see my burger up in the bright lights too, reckon even a old blind dog finds a bone now and then. Thank you for the Like amigo, much appreciated! RAY

That looks great Ray! Gonna have to try that recipe out... you make it look so good! Love your flat top... just what I've been looking at, when it turns out to be a need instead of a want lol! And R robrpb definitely follow Ray's post on his buns... if I can do it so can you, you won't be disappointed!

Ryan

Not sure how I missed this, but WOW!! 😛 That's about all I can say...except that you made me hungry...

Thanks GS! I can see from your avatar we have more then just burgers in common. Thank you for the Like, I do appreciate it. RAY

Great job Ray Warren

Thanks Warren, and thank you for the Like, I do appreciate it. RAY

Ray every burger you make is spinner worthy!! Glad to see this up in the bright lights.

Thanks Jeff! Get that brand new grinder out of the box, you'll be happy making it work for you! RAY

That looks great Ray! Gonna have to try that recipe out... you make it look so good! Love your flat top... just what I've been looking at, when it turns out to be a need instead of a want lol! And R robrpb definitely follow Ray's post on his buns... if I can do it so can you, you won't be disappointed! Ryan

Thanks Ryan! The BS flattop is a real game changer and a nice change from the Q, what you can cook up them seems to have no limit. Thank you for the Like Ryan, mu appreciated! RAY

Yes Ray, that's Lucy, my pest :emoji_grinning:. She just turned 2 on Oct. 12 and she has all 4 feet firmly planted on my heart

Well happy birthday Lucy! My Bob turns four on December 12, always a nice day for a T-bone! He's my third springer, tho the first male, spoiled rotten. RAY

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Hey Ray, in your recipe for hip shot burgers, you have 3/4 cup SPC ... what is that? I must be having a brain fart cuz it's probably really simple .
Need to find a cheaper deal on brisket, was $5.99 a lb in store today.

Thanks
Ryan

Reactions: sawhorseray
Wow Ray, sorry I missed this one... Lots of nice work there buddy! GREAT BIG LIKE Congrats on the spinner ride my friend, well deserved. John

Thanks amigo! Hope you're feeling better and doing well! Let me know when you are open for a Cards game and some Q, tho you don't want to be here when your Cards pound my Niners, I'll be a poor sport and would have to poison your dinner. RAY

• Haha
Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
Thanks Rich!

I keep trying to get back on the board more, but am still unable to eat the stuff I used to and it is not worth posting here.

Been contemplating posting some cooks I did a while back that never made it to the site but I had queued up to post....

John

Hey John!!
Quit Contemplating, and get posting!!!
Doesn't matter when you did it, if we didn't see it, we want to!!

Bear

Brisket finally came on sale for $1.99lb, butts at 99¢lb. Time to pound out some burgers! First up, 20 pounds of Hipshot burger
12 pounds brisket
8 pounds porkbutt
1/4 cup powdered dextrose
3/4 cup SPC
1/3 cup canning salt
1/4 cup CBP
2 cups ice cold milk
View attachment 512819

8.75lb porkbutt deboned. I 've a few of these before
View attachment 512820

16.5lb brisket trimmed to 12 pounds, nothing wasted but the cow itself!
View attachment 512821

Butt and brisket near frozen, run thru medium grinder plate
View attachment 512822

Whisk the dry ingredients with the milk, everything goes for a 10 minutes ride in the meat mixer
View attachment 512823

It tilts!
View attachment 512824

In the fridge while all the gear gets cleaned up, then pressed into 1/2 pound patties and vac-sealed
View attachment 512825

Hipshots are delicious and economical to make, usually cooked on the Weber over direct hot coals 3&1/2 minutes a side. Straight brisket burgers, trimmed.

View attachment 512826
View attachment 512827

Grind thru the same medium plate
View attachment 512828

3/4 pound patties, form when you want 'em.
View attachment 512829

These burgers are best on the flattop, made some buns to accommodate their size
View attachment 512839

Flattop heated up and ready to go
View attachment 512840

Caramelized onions
View attachment 512831

Homemade maple-honey bacon
View attachment 512833

Get that burger cookin' in the bacon grease!
View attachment 512834
View attachment 512835

Put a hat on it, melt in some cheese, pile on the bacon
View attachment 512836

Off and ready to assemble!
View attachment 512837

I like my burgers medium rare. When you grind your own meat and have confidence in the cleanliness of the process there's nothing to worry about, unlike buying ground beef from your local market.
View attachment 512838

No salad, shrooms, or guac needed or wanted, these burgers stand on their own, not even room for fries. You'd be hard pressed to find a burger done like this in a restaurant, and at a affordable price. Thanks for lookin' in and y'all stay safe out there! RAY
dip-sh#t question here. did you add fat? is the fat just from the butt? I could just be inexperienced, but I thought fat is what held burgers together/
go easy on me.

Reactions: sawhorseray
dip-sh#t question here. did you add fat? is the fat just from the butt? I could just be inexperienced, but I thought fat is what held burgers together/
go easy on me.
There is no dumb question on here. Most butts turn out to be about 80/20. So you have fat with the pork butt and also the brisket... Ray trimmed the hard fat off the brisket and maybe some other excess but still had some fat on it to grind.
One other note if you're gonna make some... the SPC is soy protein concentrate, I had to ask cuz I didn't know. Just one important note with that... don't let anyone eat them that has nut allergies!

Ryan

Smokin' in AZ Smokin' in AZ
That's right . If you feel up to it we'd like to see it .
Ok, I will dig them up and post them.

I am doing a homemade pizza on the grill for Sue's birthday so I will get some pics of that for sure.

Thanks guys for the support! I do appreciate it.

Has been a long haul, going on a year now.

John.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky