building selling UDS.?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jokerswild!

Original poster
Dec 4, 2020
Starting my own build. I have a source for clean unused barrels, no liners, locking lids. 5 bucks. Wondering if there is money to be made building and selling these. I retire next year. I have time on my hands a space to work. Need a part time job and working from home would be great. Just not sure what the market is .

Reactions: JC in GB
Shipping would probably be the biggest draw back. Unless only doing for local pickup, but that would limit your sales. No idea what it would cost to ship one. But not having to remove an inner liner might make it worthwhile to some.

Ryan

One of the biggest problems is shipping, so if you live in a higher populated area that could be a plus being able to have customers come to you to pick-up.

Some builders will have one or two styles with standard options, then list of additional options.

Sell them on Facebook marketplace and Craig's list. I see them for sale out here for $200- $250
Thats waht I was thinking for starters. Some sports shows maybe . Banquet donation for the local sportsman's groups. 250 seems kinda low unless a guy is really doing a basic rough job. I get it though.... If a guy can build it himself....whay spend 600 hundred. BUT I know alot of wealthy dudes that cant or wont lift a finger. We charge em 600 or 7000 bucks to put in their pier... and the same again in the fall to take it out. AND they tip on top of it, I also know this. Walmart products, and Walmart prices....bring walmart customers. Jack up the quality, charge twice as much. Get customers that dont bounce checks and think its a better product so they refer other good customers.

Reactions: forktender
I agree with everyone, I would sell local on Facebook (if you have it) Also list in local trader magazine, also known as my junk can be your junk here where I’m from but I have gotten some great WheelHorse tractors out of it.

Thats waht I was thinking for starters. Some sports shows maybe . Banquet donation for the local sportsman's groups. 250 seems kinda low unless a guy is really doing a basic rough job. I get it though.... If a guy can build it himself....whay spend 600 hundred. BUT I know alot of wealthy dudes that cant or wont lift a finger. We charge em 600 or 7000 bucks to put in their pier... and the same again in the fall to take it out. AND they tip on top of it, I also know this. Walmart products, and Walmart prices....bring walmart customers. Jack up the quality, charge twice as much. Get customers that dont bounce checks and think its a better product so they refer other good customers.
I've seen them up to $500 with two Weber grill grates, stainless meat hooks and a 1/4'' thick steel tractor disk for a heat defuser, Two 1'' ball valves for air flow adjustments and a 2'' nipple with threaded cap to close off the stack. The more gadgets you include the higher the price you can get. The $200 drums are bare bone drums with rebar and hanging hooks with magnets to adjust the air flow.

Reactions: Jokerswild!
I've seen them up to $500 with two Weber grill grates, stainless meat hooks and a 1/4'' thick steel tractor disk for a heat defuser, Two 1'' ball valves for air flow adjustments and a 2'' nipple with threaded cap to close off the stack. The more gadgets you include the higher the price you can get. The $200 drums are bare bone drums with rebar and hanging hooks with magnets to adjust the air flow.
Tractor plate?? What is that?

Tractor plate?? What is that?
Harrow disk, they are carbon steel...they make awesome woks as well.
On my UDS I cut the bottom of the barrel out and welded a disk to the bottom with a short 2'' steel threaded nipple that way I can unscrew the cap and wash everything out the bottom, it works great.
My UDS sits up on 3 legs with casters to give the nipple and cap enough ground clearance.
1608354313761.png

1608354609457.png

Gotcha. I grew u[p on farm so "disc blade" is the term I would use. Ive been looking for a source for used ones. A discada wok would be nice, but Id prefer one that has been used. More genuine. Im using antique milk cans for Cream Can meals, so love to keep it real. But we have multiple farm stores here so I can easily source new ones for a diffuser with no shipping costs.

Sounds like a really good idea to me. We had a member on here a few years ago that made them with custom paint job’s. Awesome looking UDS’s!
He couldn’t make them fast enough!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky