Building my own propane grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smoke-Heat-Fire

Original poster
Mar 26, 2022
Hey Guys
I plan on building my own propane grill. I plan on making it 24" by 75" and using GrillGrates for the grates. My questions are How far should I make the burner from the Grates ? How many BUTS per square inch? If my burners need top reflectors because I plan on having nothing in between the burner and the Grates and if anyone knows how to build a Drilled Tube burner? I know how to built one I just don't know what size drill bit to use and what pipe size and what BTU the burner will have. I have built a couple of them but that was a long time age.
THANK YOU

I would go to home depot and measure a couple of different grils. The size off the holes in the fire tube must depend some on the valve. Are you using a needle valve?

I've built many grills. Burner should be 6 to 9 inches from the grates. You can make a burner out of a piece of black pipe and cut slots with a sawzall. flip the pipe so the flame slots are on the bottom and the flame wraps around the pipe. Here are some ideas. you can make your gas mixer out of a end cap for a few dollars.

Attachments

• 6bb30c07_vbattach24697.jpg
    6bb30c07_vbattach24697.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 43
  • fcf6f38d_vbattach24698.jpg
    fcf6f38d_vbattach24698.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 43
  • New Pics 005.JPG
    New Pics 005.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 44
Reactions: Nefarious
Thanks for the info. But a needle valve have pipe thread and the orifices don’t have pipe thread. The building a burner part I can do i just don’t know how much btu my burner have and if I don’t know the btu then I don’t know how much burners I should put in the grill.

Thanks for the reply sir. Do u think it’s easier to built then a drilled tube burner? So where can I find all the specs to build one.

Thank you

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky