Building my first Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

swamp view

Original poster
Aug 24, 2013
I'm building my first Reverse Flow Smoker & have a few questions for all the experts out there. The main smoking camber will be 24” X 60” rolled 3/16” steel - Fire box will be 20X20X24 made from 3/16". When it’s done I’m hopping it looks a lot like a Lang 60” smoker. I have put my specs into Feldon’s build calculator & attached a link,

url=http://feldoncentral.com/bbqcalcula...1.27&fi=0,0,4,31.10,2.48&fc=10.28,14.53,82.94]Link]Link to BBQ Pit Calculator[/url]

The first few of many questions are:

1.        If the main cooking rack will be at the center line (or 12” from the bottom) how much lower should the reverse flow plate be?

2.        How low should the top of the firebox be? Should the top of the box be at the same height as the plate or should it be below that line.

3.        Lastly for a camber that is 5 feet long – would it be better to have 2 doors or just 1?

I will attach pictures when i can.

Howdy, SV. I'm not the resident expert, but my build is the same as yours. My pipe is 5/16" so I am going with double doors. You will need a counterweight probably if you go with one door.

My top grate will also be at 12". My reverse flow plate is 7.5" up from the bottom, or 4.5" below the bottom cooking grate.

My firebox is 24x24x22h. As recommended by most here, the top of the firebox should be welded to the reverse flow plate.

Good luck!

Keith

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky