Building a Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That is very nice, much more elaborate than I am going to end up with. How do you use the heating element in conjunction with the wood box on the side? And is the red caulking just high time casket sealer?

I use the heating element to pre-heat the chamber before firing up the coals. Once at my setpoint temp, I start the charcoal using the minion method. As the coals heat up the element backs off to maintain the setpoint, the charcoal takes over as the primary fuel with the heater helping out a little. As the charcoal burns down the element steps up and keeps the temp from dropping. I get excellent temp control and can stretch a couple chimneys of lump for more 6 hours. Best of both worlds, get true charcoal cooking with the precise temp control of a high end electric
icon_smile.gif

The red stuff is permatex hi-temp silicon gasket maker/adhesive. It's tougher and sets up much quicker than regular hi-temp silicon sealer. Good for 650F.

Looking forward to seeing how your build goes, If I can help out at all let me know
icon_smile.gif

Hi Dave

One question,,mine looks like yours but has wheels on the bottom, site up around 6 inches, do you think it would work if I put a square box in the bottom with an element in it and put the wood/chargoal on/beside the element at the same time or would you say putting the box on the outside would be the best?

Hi Scott...sorry I missed this. I like the box outside, easier to add wood/charcoal and control the temp with the air intake vent. I think the SFB is the way to go if your trying to keep charcoal as your primary fuel. Plus you can get the chargriller SFB for $55 at Lowes.

You also need to be careful you don't go over the sheath temp rating of your element. If you put the element too close to the hot coals it might not last long. I used a finned tubular heater. The fins gives faster/better heat transfer to air which helps keep the sheath temp down. Plus the main coals not being in the same chamber helps too.

thanks, I have been down, and havent been able to work on it as much, but gettin all thinks together about done.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky