building a cold smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

natureboy71

Original poster
Jan 18, 2011
I am converting an old steel lined fridge into a cold smoker. Just wondering how or what to do on top of it to let the smoke out. I am using a Smoke Daddy.

TRY A SEARCH ON FRIDGE SMOKERS.  yOU SHOULD FIND SOMETHING THERE.  I USED A HOT WATER HEATER VENT AND VENTED IT OUT THE BACK NEAR THE TOP.

icon_cool.gif

You could just drill a big hole maybe 4" or so and then cover it with a well made dryer vent ot something else that is made with fairly heavy metal. You could just do a search in the build section here and see if you can find someone else that has done it too.

I just cut two 3" holes in the top back of my smoker and covered the outside with a Electrical outlet blank and put a screw in the one corner then I just slide it open or closed as I need it.

Last edited:
I was just wondering since I am using this just for cold smoking, do i need vents on the side also to keep the smoke from getting stale.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky