Build a gravity fed smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nnolannn

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jul 22, 2020
south texas
I'm going to build a gravity fed smoker. Seems like one the size of Stumps baby smoker would be about the right size. I've seen plans for sale for $80 but seems like those funds would be better used on supplies to build it. First thing will be build the frame with square tubing 1.5 or 2". then build a Shute 8 X 8 that tapers wider. Thicker metal for the hot box. I think the opening for smoke to enter the cook box will be the size of a dollar bill. build up the Shute and install in the frame before skinning with sheet metal or plate metal. a computer fan with a PID like the master built or a pipe shut off valve like many have . I guess im just asking for any thoughts or ideas.

Reactions: PPG1
1.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg 13.jpg 16.jpg 17.jpg

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 246
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 248
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:
This project started out as a refrigerator smoker. As progress went forward the fridg was tossed because of corrosion (too many holes). lots of mistakes along the way. some of the metal ive picked up free over the years and used on this smoker. Im hoping to get temps low enough to smoke sausage 120-180f , brisket and shoulders at 225-275

What you need to do is get an old refrigerator handle and mount it on that massive door! You'll get quite a few laughs then when you say, "Well it started as a refrigerator build."
Seriously, nice work and in record time. Love your workshop; and I'm partic jealous of your bathroom!

What you need to do is get an old refrigerator handle and mount it on that massive door! You'll get quite a few laughs then when you say, "Well it started as a refrigerator build."
Seriously, nice work and in record time. Love your workshop; and I'm partic jealous of your bathroom!
Thank You! Did just that! That door weighs 110 lbs. The latch snaps and pulls tight with no effort. I was going to use the same latches that was used on the small doors but the old refrigerator door works great. I wish I knew why everyone uses a ball valve for the firebox vent. I just used a typical smoker exhaust pipe vent style.

Used it the first time last week using just the vent to cook chicken. I've never used a gravity fed so everything I learned was through trial and error. with the 2" vent full open without the blower it went past 430 before I blocked the air 3/4 closed. mostly maintained 275 but still needed attention. I then put the chicken in. It went well but I knew I wanted a blower controller.

This last weekend I built a blocking plate to stick in one of the grate slides using 1" sq. tubing and sheet metal both sides with 1" ceramic insulation in between. Used this to reduce the smoking chamber size and save on charcoal. It worked well.
added a Thermoworks blower controller. worked well to maintained 275 with no effort. I did find out the hard way there has to be a restriction. when the temp reached 530 I realized even though the blower didn't blow the air can still go through the fan and feed the coals. I cut a slot in the sq. tube and made a gate valve to close 3/4 or more. that worked. I then put in the beef ribs and pork pic. the cook with the blocking plate and blower was then easy and efficient with charcoal.

Wow, what a freaking unit! Thanks for sharing all the pics. I wish to have your fab skills (and work space) some day! I'm a huge fan of Insulated Vertical Smokers. Would be happy to give that big green beast a home!

Thank You. I've been really enjoying the smoker. I'm new to gravity fed, but so far so good. The electric element was necessary for sausage and sticks because the lowest temp I can get with the charcoal is 220F.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky