Buffalo Brisket and Wagyu

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

flyhigh123

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 30, 2009
I have a friend that has a hook up for Buffalo and Wagyu meats...

Are there any cuts on either of these two that would be good for smoking? How about Buffalo or Wagyu briskets? Is it worth paying a bit more to try these? Will it be more tender?

Going to try to smoke Wagyu beef ribs this month.. Will keep you guys posted!

Thanks!

[quote name="flyhigh123" url="/forum/thread/104280/buffalo-brisket-and-wagyu#post_604623"]
I have a friend that has a hook up for Buffalo and Wagyu meats...

Are there any cuts on either of these two that would be good for smoking? How about Buffalo or Wagyu briskets? Is it worth paying a bit more to try these? Will it be more tender?

Going to try to smoke Wagyu beef ribs this month.. Will keep you guys posted!

Thanks!
[/quote]

Absolutely, there are cuts on both that are good for smoking. That depends on what you like smoking/cooking.

Not sure if I can answer the "value" question, as that's up to you. Some find it's worth it, others not so much.

Also, Wagyu tends to cook a bit faster, so keep that in mind.

Buffalo is awesome, definitely worth trying ribs out on a smoker. If they have the right amount of fat, the briskets would be pretty cool if you could find one with good intramuscular fat.

Buffalo is alot like grass-finished beef, and will like lower smoking temps (like 225 max) and wouldn't like going too far past second stall.

Buffalo is great !

Like FLbobecu said, it's worth the price to some, but not to others. I don't think it is, but it's expensive around here.

Just don't be roasting any Moose or Bears !!!!   
biggrin.gif

Bear

Last edited:
thanks for the replies... maybe i'll try buffalo ribs instead of brisket...

I've had braised Buffalo short ribs before, and they were great! I definitely recommend giving them a try.

Most buffalo are grass-finished, non-feedlot animals, and will have a gamier taste with a very high iron content. Some folks don't take to the notion of their animals tasting like that; so my advice is to first test out a small batch, and see what your thoughts will be.

Good luck! 

just an update, tried the kobe beef ribs and they were great! very meaty!

Just ordered another pack for myself. If anyone in the LA area wants, i can order them a pack of kobe( i think grade 3) beef ribs. PM me for price.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky