Budgeting a Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SpartanCPA2012

Original poster
Jan 21, 2018
Greetings Everyone,

Long time reader, first time poster here. Happy to be a part of the community! I have been smoking on a 18.5 in WSM for a year now. I love my WSM and will use it for a long time, but I can already tell I am getting the itch to own an offset one day. I could start saving now and buy something along the lines of a Yoder Wichita for $1,500+ a few years down the road. With that being said, doing a custom build has a certain appeal to me. However, between family obligations and other various hobbies, I don't have nearly as much free time as I'd like. To follow through on devoting to a build, I think I'd have to justify it as a decent cost savings as well.

I've seen so many great builds on this site, and was wondering if some of you with past experiences might be willing to give me an idea on expected cost (which I acknowledge ahead of time probably varies quite a bit). I'll start by giving some pointers of what I'd be looking to build:

1. Something in the 24-30" diameter range. 3.5-4' cook chamber, and ~2' firebox (essentially, a backyard smoker, would calc the specifics later on). Stack on the far side of the firebox (not reverse flow, but I'm open minded).
2. Would like 1/4 in thick steel if possible for heat retention, at least for the firebox (open to box or cylindrical)
3. A split, pull-out rack.
4. Some baffles, potential for tuning plates, etc.
5. A couple of thermometers
6. Generic steel frame stand, probably a couple of wheels.

Ideally, I'd be sourcing some scrap materials for the big stuff (maybe some steel piping or retired tanks, etc.) and buying new for things like thermometers, handles, etc. I don't have welding experience and would probably have to pay a local welder or find a local experienced amateur who would be willing to do it for cash. I'm handy enough that I could cut pieces to the proper measurements and whatnot.

I'm certainly not naive and know there are so many factors that would impact cost, and I've certainly only provided a somewhat high-level description of my desires. Ultimately, I'm just looking to see if anyone is willing to share their experiences and give me an idea of what I might be looking at to make these dreams come true one day. I appreciate any input you might be able to provide!

More experience will chime in but I'll give you my 2 cents.
Cost your correct can vary great amount. Do you have acess to some place to pilfer material free or cheap.
Welding if you could contact local high school or vocational could reduce cost maybe and supply the material.
Just some input. I made mine but I had a welder bought cpl years ago. the steel was scraps from work. Took me over 6 months of worKing on it here and there.

Here's mine 3/16 sheet metal and steel tubing
20160612_165100.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky