Bucket Potatoes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I know people get this to work somehow but I grew them in empty cattle protein tubs a couple years ago. Made holes for drainage and laid some good garden soil in the bottom. Added Yukon Gold seed taters and covered them with more good garden soil. I kept adding soil as the vines grew until I was just below the top of the tubs. Come harvest time all I got was a couple decent size taters and a bunch of golf ball size ones.

Reactions: chopsaw
I never had luck either . Like golf balls and just as hard .
I worked with a guy that used to grow root vegetables for competition . Used to stack tires and fill with a sandy soil . He had carrots that were 4' long .

Anyway he told me I needed loose soil . Wasn't worth trying it though .
Bill good luck , and hope they turn out .

Interested to follow along! We used to get little pigs from Canada, one of the truckers was a big gardener... he said alot of people grew taters in tires, had them stacked to the eves of houses tall. Never had much luck with taters either so mine come from the store.

Ryan

Today I decided to "go big or go home".
Planted 5 buckets today, another 5 buckets tomorrow.
Hope you get a bumper crop of spuds, Bill. Maybe I just wasn't holding my mouth right or something, when I tried them in containers.

Like I said earlier, I've seen people who have great results in containers. I do better planting in the ground, but then there's that whole deal digging with a tater fork .....................

Hope you get a bumper crop of spuds, Bill. Maybe I just wasn't holding my mouth right or something, when I tried them in containers.

Like I said earlier, I've seen people who have great results in containers. I do better planting in the ground, but then there's that whole deal digging with a tater fork .....................
Thanks! Have a perfect cellar to store some if I do.

I found something growing in my compost bin, turned out to be what I think is a Yukon Gold plant. Enough to put in two pots, they took off and are now halfway in the ground and halfway in a mound. From the glimpse I got when I took them out of the pots there were spuds growing.

If they take off, I'll frame in the mounds and start raising the walls.

Reactions: bill ace 350
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky