buckboard test fry w/Qview *more Qview added*

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I've seen recipes that read just like this, "no smoke for the first X hours", this seems to be for electric/gas smokers.  My smoker is a stick burner.  Why is it important to have no smoke at first? What's pellicle?

Try to avoid those spikes over 180˚.

The color will get there. It takes longer than 2 hours.

The first hour should be with no smoke, unless you already had pellicle on the surface, and pretty dry.

Then after about 3, 4, or 5 hours the color will start, getting more color after that.

I think I always have mine in for between 7 hours & 11 hours.

If you get the smoker over 180˚ or more for too long, you'll render too much fat out.

It would still be tasty, but might get too chewy.

My opinion,

Bear

I've seen recipes that read just like this, "no smoke for the first X hours", this seems to be for electric/gas smokers.  My smoker is a stick burner.  Why is it important to have no smoke at first? What's pellicle?

Nick,
That would be for any smoker. You have to get it real dry, and hopefully some pellicle formed.

If you don't do that, it won't take smoke right, and could get all oily and not very good tasting on the outside.

You can put it in front of a fan for an hour or two, or put it in the fridge uncovered over night, or put it in the smoker for an hour at about 130˚ or so without smoke, before putting the smoke on. I do the second & third ways to make sure.

Yours looks good in the pics.

You had me scared though. Your post said after 5 hours & 20 minutes, and it looked raw yet!!!!

Then I scrolled down---The bottom pics look real good.

BTW: It wouldn't have hurt to rinse it off after smoking---then pat it dry.

If you had put any seasoning on it after curing, that might have washed some of that off though.

Nice Qview too,

Bear

You’ve inspired me. I’ve got to find some cure #1 and try this. Great looking stuff.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Nick,
That would be for any smoker. You have to get it real dry, and hopefully some pellicle formed.

If you don't do that, it won't take smoke right, and could get all oily and not very good tasting on the outside.

You can put it in front of a fan for an hour or two, or put it in the fridge uncovered over night, or put it in the smoker for an hour at about 130˚ or so without smoke, before putting the smoke on. I do the second & third ways to make sure.

You had me scared though. Your post said after 5 hours & 20 minutes, and it looked raw yet!!!!

If you had put any seasoning on it after curing, that might have washed some of that off though.

Nice Qview too,

Bear
How do you apply heat without smoke using only wood?

Nick,

Nice Qview too,

Bear
How do you apply heat without smoke using only wood?

OOOOPs, Sorry about that nick!

I'm so used to thinking about electric & gas, and I guess even charcoal without wood.

I guess you would have to use the fridge or the fan method.

My Bad,

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky