Buckboard Bacon

Discussion in 'Smoking Bacon' started by boomer01, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Well after seeing some of the posts about buckboard bacon I finally got around to trying it out. I picked up some of the Hi-Mountain cure and picked up some boston butt on sales for $0.99 at a local store here. The hardest part about this entire project was waiting 10 days while it cured. I think after I'm done using all of the Hi-Mountain cure I'll try my own using TenderQuick, I've seen a few of you post using that, and the results look good.

So anyhow, I smoked this on Saturday following the Hi-mountain directions to a tee. I let it set overnight in the fridge, that was also very hard to do, as I wanted to slice it up and try it out! Sorry but I didn't get any pictures during the smoking process. I also picked up a new toy yesterday, a meat slicer from Cabela's. That thing is awesome, it'll also be very helpful when making jerky.

I ate my first helping of the bacon tonight, it was very good!! I think it could use just a touch more smoke, so next time around I may start the smoker a little earlier. Here's a few pictures of the final product!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mossymo

mossymo Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

boomer01
    Bacon looks great and congrats on the slicer !!!

3. carpetride

carpetride Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

You people are gonna make me fat...too much stuff I still want to try!

4. ronp

ronp Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Perfect looking Buckboard!

5. bassman

bassman Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Good looking bacon and a nice slicer too.