Brunswick stew

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fxsales1959

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 17, 2019
PembrokePines, FL
Saving the "what is brunswick stew" discussion for later. When i was a youngin' back in he 60's i spent the majority of my youth on my grandparents/aunt/uncles red-dirt tobacco farm in south central VA. I am blessed with memories of food like brunswick stew, country ham and red-eye gravy, and grandma's scratch dippin biscuits made on the wood fired stove/oven. My wife is an extension of my smokin persona and has taken to "learning" recipes from the south. brunswick stew is one of her specialties. you can make this as simple as boiling a chicken and pulling it. Back in the day( the 60's) we didn't have a smoker. Uncle went out and killed and plucked a chicken and it was boiled and stripped. Then the chicken, some butterbeans, corn, tomatoes, and snaps went in a cast iron pot to simmer into stew. That's what i rememeber anyway. After I apporved a recipe that mama found on the interwebs, I decided a smoked chicken might "flavor it up". Now about every six months or so , she asks, when are you going to smoke a chicken so i can make stew. Local store puts those little whole chickens on sale for $.99/a pound so i pounce. And there you go. I can't for the life of me remember all the ingredients. ........ awesomeness of south Virginia stew. for what it's worth mom and Dad are buried just miles form Appomattox VA, thus my "country" heritage.
Images for effect: click for larger

IMG-4273.jpg IMG-4267.jpg

My wife has a brunswick stew recipe that she got from her grandmother. In addition to
the chicken, pork, and beef, it also has rabbit and squirrel in it. Since we live in a small
city, we don't put rabbit and squirrel meat in the stew! I don't think we would do that
anyway. When she is busy making the stew, the amount grows up to 32 quarts of
stew. Wonderful stuff. The freezer will always have stew and country ham.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky