Brummie Smoker New Guy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hi Tom,

I've not cold smoked yet. So, obviously can't offer advice or comment.

The first things I smoked were pulled pork and some chicken. Both turned out well. Although with the experience of the smoking weekend I'd have done things a little differently.

Here's some pictures from my very first cooked food that came off the ProQ on the 7th June. I was panicking like you wouldn't believe as it was only delivered on tge 5th June!

:welcome1:

Reactions: ianplant
Cheese is a good place to start. You have to be patient though as it will take at least a couple of weeks to mature.

Cold smoked salmon steaks are also easy and can be done overnight.

Let me know of you want to try any of these.

I am thinking cheese, garlic and salmon for my first cold smoke.

Really would like to do some beef ribs for the hot smoke, macs bbq look like they have a good and simple recipe. 

For the cheese and garlic it would be easier if you got yourself a cold smoke generator, though you can do without. The requirement is to produce a good supply of clean smoke without producing significant heat. Some do this using smoldering sawdust in a tray but a more controlled way is to use something like an AMNPS or a ProQ cold smoke generator

https://www.amazenproducts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AMNPS5X8

http://www.macsbbq.com/cold-smokers

I have both and I find the AMNPS much more effective than the ProQ. If you would like to try either one out then let me know (and no, I  don't sell either of them
biggrin.gif
)

Once you have the smoke sorted then it is down to the things you are going to smoke...

Cheese - When you get going try a variety of cheeses, but to begin with simply get some supermarket own mature Cheddar and cut into chinks about 2cm thick. Spread these out in the smoker and leave to smoke for 2-3 hours. Place in the fridge on a wire rack uncovered for 24 hours before either wrapping in clingfilm, ziploc bags or preferably vacuum pack. Leave for at least 2 weeks for the smoke flavour to mature before tasting.

Salmon (cold smoked) - Tesco's skinless, boneless Salmon steaks (about £1.50 each) are great for this. Make up a dry cure mix of 1:1 coarse sea salt and granulated sugar. Spread a thin layer of the cure mix over the bottom of a plastic (or stainless steel) container and lay the fillets, spread out on the top. Cover the top surfaces with more of the cure mix making sure that you get some on the sides of the fillets as well. Cover and leave to cure in the fridge for two and a half hours. Rinse off all the cure mix under a cold tap and then pat dry using kitchen towel. Place on a rack uncovered in the fridge overnight. Smoke for about 8 hours (overnight is great). These freeze well. When required cook at 180 C for 12 minutes.

Garlic - place the whole bulbs in the smoker on a wire rack. They will take about 6-12 hours to smoke depending on how smoky you like them.

While you have the cold smoker on, why not put in a shallow disk of coarse salt. Smoked salt goes well on many savoury dishes.

Last edited:
Reactions: resurrected
Great, you guys have been great ! Love the idea of doing the salmon fillets and also cheese/condiments. Smoke garlic is such a beautiful smell, have stood in delis taking in the scent with elephant garlic - always a treat. 

Wade - I have a PRO Q smoker generator so that should be fine to use !! 

Hi

Try Chicken, but season under the skin for 24 hours with S & P it helps get a better skin

Me again, sorry to keep asking - I bought a meat probe yesterday but also did not consider a grill thermometer - any recommendations ? I used to use a simple oven thermometer which had a clock dial on it that cost me £5 from a kitchen store, was thinking perhaps that might be an idea and to leave it in there with the meat - the only worry is that the door opening whilst getting the temp might hinder getting a decent steady temp, maybe not though - what are peoples thoughts ?

Hey do not apologies that's what we are here for. You need a digital device that has the probe on the inside preferably at grill level and reading unit outside. You can get some cheap ones to start off with on Auction Sites. But you get what you pay for.

Yep ikea digital probe (magnetic) with long lead 7 quid not a maverick but my mate who is a pro swears by them

Yes noticed a dude on instagram doing the same, will do that too. My meat probe was bought from Amazon and was on special offer  for those that might be interested. 

I am not sure, but if you put Maverick ET 732 into Google and see what prices come up, that way you will have something to compare it with.  I have the older version, but is does the same job.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky