Broil King Pellet Grill Woes, Traeger or Yoder as a replacement?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Slayer33

Original poster
Jul 26, 2022
Wow, so long story short, my 12 day old Broil King Pellet Regal 500 hasn't worked properly since I had it built in-store and brought home. 1st issue was the moment I plugged in the fan started up, this was before pushing the power button. Next issue was I couldn't get the temps to go below 260F even though the grill was set to 200F or the preset 225F. At 275, it was rock solid, stayed within +/- 3F. Turns out the issue with the fan was one of the pins on the harness fell out so there was no control over the fan. So now it turns off, but there the other issue with the temps.

After several calls and troubleshooting with OMG Canada, they determined I had the incorrect fan installed in my grill and the control board may need to be replaced.

Now.... the store I got it from is a reputable BBQ supplier. They have a 30 day return policy and if the item is defective then I can get a full return/exchange, I have used the grill obviously but mainly to try to get the temps working with all the troubleshooting I was asked to do by Broil King. I am waiting for the store to call me today to confirm what my options are, I am hoping they let me return my BK Regal 500 and I will get something different as I don't feel it is fair to have to deal with a bad unit from day 1 after investing what I felt was a good amount of money.

If they take my grill back, they have a few options. What I am most interested in is the Yoder YS640s Standard Cart ($3999.99 CAD) or the new Traeger Timberline XL ($4899.99).

I like the fact the Yoder is made in the USA, is really durable and has a good sear option. Lots of versatility with this grill, but I've read some short comings with rust, grease leakage from the front lid and the cover isn't very good.

The new Traeger Timberline XL looks almost too good to be true, has an induction grill, integrated meater probes, easier clean up system and storage. Cons, would be the price and cost of accessories and its not made in USA and is the first year of this new design.

I'm sad the Broil King has so many issues even straight out of the box, I'm sure even the Yoder and Traeger will have its issues but I've spent too many hours trying to fix this thing I feel its just time to move on.

What are your thoughts between the Yoder and Traeger? The store also carries the Weber SmokeFire, but I don't want to go with that. These are my options if they allow me to return it. Traeger Ironwood 885 or the Timberline 1300 are also lower priced options but I've got the funds to go big so why not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sven Svensson
If I were spending that kind of money, Yoder or MAK would be my top choices.

Reactions: BigW.
On top of that if I remember correctly, Yoder charges a couple of hundred to ship. MAK has shipping in the cost. That may have changed since I last priced one 15 months ago.

What's the reasoning with not having the Smokefire as an option? Those that own them love them.

No knock against the Smokefire, its just up here in Canada our winters get cold and I want a grill I can use in the winter and not need a blanket.

MAK isn't an option for me, the store I purchased from and would hopefully be getting my credit back for only carries, Yoder, Traeger, Broil King and Weber.

No knock against the Smokefire, its just up here in Canada our winters get cold and I want a grill I can use in the winter and not need a blanket.
My Camp Chef works fine in cold. I use a cheap welding blanket in the cold weather because it burns less fuel. I think you'll find that no matter which brand you go with, it'll burn less fuel with some insulation on top of the cook chamber.

MAK isn't an option for me, the store I purchased from and would hopefully be getting my credit back for only carries, Yoder, Traeger, Broil King and Weber.
If that's your choices I would definitely go Yoder.

Keith

If that's your choices I would definitely go Yoder.

Keith
Why would you choose the Yoder? I like how it's made of thick heavy gauge steel and it has the ability to open the burn pot section for searing. One thing I didn't like about the Yoder is there is no clean out of the hopper, you would have to vacuum up your pellets.

The Traeger XL is more money but it has a neat grease and ash collector, 2 meater probes and a few other neat innovations. I do like the idea of using the induction burner to sear steaks.

Last edited:
When I first started looking for a pellet smoker I was set on buying a Traeger since everyone had one and they were everywhere. Then I accidentally discovered the Yoder. After some exhaustive research into the pluses and minuses of both the clear choice for me was the Yoder.

Two years later I could not be happier with my choice. I have no regrets.

Yoder has my vote. I've had mine for a bit, I love the damn thing. I've also seen reviews about the rust. Me personally I didn't care, when I am not using it, it is in my garage covered. So I can't really speak about the cover since I use it to keep the dust off it.

As far as grease leakage from the front, I've never experienced that.

Yoder has my vote. I've had mine for a bit, I love the damn thing. I've also seen reviews about the rust. Me personally I didn't care, when I am not using it, it is in my garage covered. So I can't really speak about the cover since I use it to keep the dust off it.

As far as grease leakage from the front, I've never experienced that.
Lots of support for Yoder, I like it.

I know the new Traeger is outrageously expensive, at my local store it is $4899CAD. I've seen it for $3799USD as the MSRP which with current exchange rates is about right.

My only issue with the Yoder, is that in the US it is $2200USD, if I do the exchange it should be about $2800CAD. But it is actually $3999CAD here. I know shipping would increase the cost but this is quite a bit more of a premium to pay.

Traeger isn't worth the money anymore. Yoder, MAK, Cookshack are what you should be looking at in that price range.

Reactions: schlotz
Have a Yoder YS640 from the first year they came out and have had no issues. Have changed the wheels, the orIginal ones were too small, but Yoder gave me a discount on the new larger ones.

I also have a wood offset and a smoky mountain. I use the Yoder for the convenience and when I do not want to stay up all night for brisket or pork shoulders. I like the result of the non pellets better, but the Yoder produces very good results as well. I add additional smoke and I am the only one that seems to notice a difference between the pellet smoker and my others.

You cannot go wrong with the Yoder.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky