Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mark a

Original poster
Jun 30, 2014
Morrisville, PA
Good Morning All!

Went to Sam's the other day and unfortunately the pickins where quite slim and my only choice was a 17# prime packer. The largest I have done before was around 14.5# and cooking on my pellet grill at 250, yielded less then stellar results. It wasn't bad by any stretch, just not quite as juicy as I had been shooting for. I figured I was either pulling to early, or that 250 was too hot... ran a quick test the other day and my Maverick probe was showing my 250 was actually closer to 300.

That brisket was on the smoker at 4 AM, wrapped in butcher paper at 10 AM then removed at about 4:30 with an internal around 203 and finally rested for about 1 1/2 hours. The supposed 250 was maintained throughout the cook. Again, not a disaster, but still slightly disappointing.

In any case, I figured I would back the temp down to around 200 and go from there. I figured a good plan of attack would be to throw it on at 11 PM and check at 7 AM or so to wrap then bump the temp to 250 and then take here til she's finished. If I plan on serving around 6 PM tomorrow does that seem like I won't be done in time because I'm having my doubts at the moment and wondering if 8 PM tonight may be a better plan. I know each piece of meat is different, but I would imagine that there are similar guidelines to follow. Haven't been able to nail the dang brisket down and this is the whole reason I bought one of these babies in the first place! Trying to knock some socks off tomorrow, so any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks all and happy smoking!

19 hours should be plenty of time I would imagine. As long as you are around 225-250. Also I’d jump on one of the inkbird thermometer deals when they post them up. A lot of people including myself have picked them and love them. If my thermometer was 50* off it would drive me insane

Reactions: negolien
Cooking at 300 or even 350 will not cause a bad result, I do all mine "hot and fast" and they no matter what size, are fully cooked, tender and juicy around 6 hours.
I wrap in foil at 160 and 2.5 to 3 hrs later they are done.
I have to be careful of carry over cooking if it's left wrapped, so I do a rapid countertop cool down sans foil to stop the cooking process.
You can't do the let it rest wrapped in foil and in a cooler or it will get badly overdone.
As to cooking at 200, expect to wait 20 hours before it's done.

Check your probe again to see if it's consistent in reading 50* higher then displayed. I have a couple of probes that are showing temps lower then the actual temp, and I'm fine with it because I know it's consistent.

250* or 300* is fine for smoking a brisket. It's all about tenderness. Temp/time are just guidelines to get you in the ballpark. When you hit 190* start probing the flat in a few areas. When the probe slides in without resistance your done.

Chris

Reactions: sawhorseray
Trimmed her up... still trying to get comfortable with that step but all in all I think it came out ok. Should be a good time!

Attachments

• 7371038F-A709-491D-A407-2BE3D8DD3FEF.jpeg
    7371038F-A709-491D-A407-2BE3D8DD3FEF.jpeg
    244.7 KB · Views: 20
  • FCE517C9-9778-4EA0-AA59-5130C7075548.jpeg
    FCE517C9-9778-4EA0-AA59-5130C7075548.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: negolien
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky