Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

desertdoggon

Original poster
Sep 22, 2013
I have a large brisket, would it be ok if I cut it in half ? and then smoked them ? or should I just shove the monster into the smoker ?

I have an inside measurement of 16 inches and my brisket 19 inches long. What to do ??? I have smoked pork butt and others, this is my first try at a brisket in a smoker. I have smoked them underground and they have been wonderful. Any advice would help. 

Thanks

desertdog :)

You can cut in half...won't hurt a thing, in fact it will allow for more even cooking, as you can remove the flat section earlier as needed, when it reaches finished temp/tenderness, while the point remains to finish. Cut a bit closer to the point section where it begins to get thicker away from the the flat end...this will leave a bit more flat intact for slicing to serve.

Eric

Hello desertdoggon.  Hello Eric.  desert; Eric has got ya covered.  The other advantage to cutting in half is that you now have a REALLY good reason to crank up the smoker again.  Two smokes for the price of one. 
icon_biggrin.gif
  Good luck and be sure to post some Qview as we like to drool.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Great ideas and will use them, another question, fat up or fat down. Sorry if I ask allot. You are all the good masters and I am a starter.

Thank you :)

desertdog

Hello desertdoggon.  NOW YOU STARTED IT!  
duel.gif
roflmao.gif
 The age old question.  Each of us has our own opinion.  I do fat up, thought being the fat bastes the brisket as it cooks.  Others do fat down for good reason.  Truth be known I think it may not matter either way but I'll not change my way. 
icon_biggrin.gif
  Good luck.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

By the way desertdoggon.  Please take some time and swing over to Roll Call and introduce yourself so that we may give you a proper "Hello".  All info you can provide us with such as smoker type, location and so on will help us answer any questions you may have.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Dessertdoggon
Didn't take you long to stir up trouble, did ya? :biggrin:
Now ask about if you should soak your wood or not..... then put up your dukes. Ding ding ding.

Be sure and give us some pictures, we all want to see what you are cooking

Gary

ok
sausage.gif
 you are so funny and make me fell at home. I will not soak my chips, and would not dare to ask , but I think I will use some Jack Daniels chips. What do you think on that ??

desertdog

I say you experiment and use whatever works for you. Thats the great part about smoking..... everyone has different tastes, equipment and likes. You rock on and you'll be smokin like a pro in no time.

Hello.  Well my goodness deesertdoggon; I didn't know you knew my Uncle John.  We must be relatives.  Uncle John and I have spent a LOT of time together ( especially when I was younger )  Only those folks who know him well called him by his nickname: Jack ( Daniels ). 
icon_biggrin.gif
   geerock got ya covered.  Those oak chips are a great place to start.  See what ya think.  Next time try another.  BUT when you find something you REALLY like, stick with it.  Experiment a little cause there are many different flavors out there but WRITE DOWN EVERYTHING so you can replicate it.  Good luck.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Dessertdoggon
Didn't take you long to stir up trouble, did ya?
biggrin.gif

Now ask about if you should soak your wood or not..... then put up your dukes. Ding ding ding.
LOL you think that's a "fire starter" of a topic? Wait until Dessertdoggon asks if he should use a water pan? The "pea gravel gang" will come flying in to set him straight on using the "dry chamber" method...followed closely by the wet-to-dry fundamentalists!

Let's get it on!
duel.gif

I've seen guys use a brick wrapped in foil to kinda hump up the brisket until it shrinks.  If you cooking grate had handles you can kinda shoehorn it between them and hump it in the middle.

If the fire is from below some folks say fat cap down to protect from the heat.  But if a side fire box they say fat cap up.

Of course as others have mentioned there are some strong opinions about these theories and others...  like; lump or briquettes?; water, sand, or dry pan?; high heat or low n slow?

HTH - Have fun!

Hey All! 

I am going to smoke my first brisket this weekend and I just had a quick question I was hoping someone could answer. I called the butcher and ordered a 7 lb. flat which was $8.99/lb. I was at the grocery store the other night and found it for $4.99/lb. (still USDA Choice), so I cancelled the order with the butcher. The brisket from the store only comes in 2-2.5lb cuts. If I am going to do 3 of those cuts at the same time, will my cook time be similar to the 7lb. cut or will the cook time be significantly less? I was planning on a low and slow cook at about 225 and was figuring on 1 hour per pound. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Happy Smoking!

It will be less.....2-2.5lb cuts will take about as long to cook as 1-2.5lb. Also at 225, err on the side of caution and plan for 1.5 hours/lb.

Flats have a tendancy to dry out during long cooks so once the meat hits 165ish internal temp, wrap it in foil and let it finish that way. If you like a hard crust on the outside, which most people do, take it back out of the foil at 195 internal temp, and let it cook naked to 200 internal temp. Juices will accumulate at the bottom of the foil, so if you are careful, save those in a coffee mug or something, and pour back over the meat once it's sliced or pulled. Mmmmmm

Last edited:
It will be less.....2-2.5lb cuts will take about as long to cook as 1-2.5lb. Also at 225, err on the side of caution and plan for 1.5 hours/lb.

Flats have a tendancy to dry out during long cooks so once the meat hits 165ish internal temp, wrap it in foil and let it finish that way. If you like a hard crust on the outside, which most people do, take it back out of the foil at 195 internal temp, and let it cook naked to 200 internal temp. Juices will accumulate at the bottom of the foil, so if you are careful, save those in a coffee mug or something, and pour back over the meat once it's sliced or pulled. Mmmmmm
Thanks so much for the help. So what you are saying is that this went from a 7 hour smoke to a 3.5 hour smoke or so?

for briskets I smoke naked to make good burnt ends but have clothed in foil for the cook off. (came in 2nd)

I use the trusty walmart wireless temp probe so I don't have to open meat box at all. I cook at 220-230 range and cook till the center hits 205-213.

the brisket comes out juicy and tender. I was scared at first cause I allways did beef to 160-170. but the extra cook on brisket does wonders.

I too like fat up for the juice to get all over meat and to keep it from going through grates and then cooking hard.

I use a mix of Jack Daniels and cherry wood and keep adding wood till meat hits about 120 degrees, mainly for looks of cars driving past the station we get.

I keep water bowl full adding on a regular basis.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky