Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks so much for the help. So what you are saying is that this went from a 7 hour smoke to a 3.5 hour smoke or so?

It will depend on how flat the peices are (i.e. the flatter/thinner they are the faster they'll cook), but for a 2.5 piece of meat, I would budget about 4 hours. But that is just an estimate so don't be shocked if they are done in 3. If that happens just wrap them in foil and rest them in an empty dry cooler for 30 minutes or if longer is needed, til you're ready to slice.

Thanks so much for the help. So what you are saying is that this went from a 7 hour smoke to a 3.5 hour smoke or so?

It will depend on how flat the peices are (i.e. the flatter/thinner they are the faster they'll cook), but for a 2.5 piece of meat, I would budget about 4 hours. But that is just an estimate so don't be shocked if they are done in 3. If that happens just wrap them in foil and rest them in an empty dry cooler for 30 minutes or if longer is needed, til you're ready to slice.
I don't know if this will make a difference, but I will be having 3 different cuts of brisket going at the same time. Each cut will be between 2.0 and 2.5 lbs. for a total of between 7 and 8 pounds of meat going at the same time. I noticed in an earlier post you mentioned 2 cuts vs 1 cut cooking the same, but I didn't know if the 3rd would make a difference. Normally I wouldn't be so anal about the timing of the smoke, but my wife and I are having some friends over for "Friendsgiving" this Saturday and we are planning on eating around 5:00PM. Do you think with the 3 cuts of meat I will be safe if I begin the smoke at 12:00 noon aiming at a 4:30 finish or should I add additional time for the 3rd cut? Sorry to be so difficult and ask so many questions.

Hey don't apologize, it's why were here! Someone helped me recently so I'm just trying to pay it forward. Once all three pieces are in the smoker and it's warmed up, it doesn't make a difference on cooking time.

As for your plan, try to get your smoker going at 11AM, because it will take about 15 20 minutes to warm up; and once you put the meat in it will need 15-30 minutes fo rthe temp to rebound. That way once noon actually rolls around, your brisket has been on the smoker for 15-20 minutes and is off and running. I wouldn't wait until noon to turn on the smoker because then you are pushing 1pm by the time its warmed up and the food is cooking.

Always remember that brisket rests very nicely in a cooler so it's always better to finish early because sometimes the "stall" takes longer than you thought and you start to have a panic attack b/c it's 4:45 and you need 5 more degrees to get your finish temp and the guests are waiting.

Most likely, your brisket will be done between 3 & 4 pm. If that happens, foil it up, and plunk it in a cooler to rest. This will give you time to socialize. I know that sounds silly but I've learned that when you try to squeeze a tight smoke into a party schedule and finish the food PRECISELY at dinner time, you end up cooking the whole time and not visiting.

When its time to carve, try to save the juice from the foil, slice the meat across the grain, then pour the juice over the slices. Voila! (a little horseradish/mayo blend is always good too)

Let me know how it goes.

Afternoon, Outside temp. can effect your cook keep a watch on your weather. Also If it were me I would start earlier, that way if any problems arise you wont be pushing you finish time..  If you are done early wrap in foil and a couple of old towels and put them in a cooler till you are ready to slice. Brisket is always better if you let it rest for a while. It will keep cooking wrapped up and also re-distributes the juices so it will be moist. Personally I would rather finish a little ahead of schedule than be waiting on it. Mainly just allow yourself plenty of time so you are comfortable and not feeling rushed. And the most important thing is ENJOY your Brisket and Friends.

Gary

Hey don't apologize, it's why were here! Someone helped me recently so I'm just trying to pay it forward. Once all three pieces are in the smoker and it's warmed up, it doesn't make a difference on cooking time.

As for your plan, try to get your smoker going at 11AM, because it will take about 15 20 minutes to warm up; and once you put the meat in it will need 15-30 minutes fo rthe temp to rebound. That way once noon actually rolls around, your brisket has been on the smoker for 15-20 minutes and is off and running. I wouldn't wait until noon to turn on the smoker because then you are pushing 1pm by the time its warmed up and the food is cooking.

Always remember that brisket rests very nicely in a cooler so it's always better to finish early because sometimes the "stall" takes longer than you thought and you start to have a panic attack b/c it's 4:45 and you need 5 more degrees to get your finish temp and the guests are waiting.

Most likely, your brisket will be done between 3 & 4 pm. If that happens, foil it up, and plunk it in a cooler to rest. This will give you time to socialize. I know that sounds silly but I've learned that when you try to squeeze a tight smoke into a party schedule and finish the food PRECISELY at dinner time, you end up cooking the whole time and not visiting.

When its time to carve, try to save the juice from the foil, slice the meat across the grain, then pour the juice over the slices. Voila! (a little horseradish/mayo blend is always good too)

Let me know how it goes.
Thanks so much for all of the advice I really appreciate it. This will be my second smoke ever and on the first one I did pork tenderloin and we had family over. The cook took 1.5 hours longer than expected and it was hard to justify it to hungry family haha! I will definitely post some pictures of the process and I am looking forward to smoking my first brisket! Thanks again!

Allan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky