Brisket with MES

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

elkhorn98

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 4, 2007
Occidental, CA
Anyone try it yet? How did you fit it in? Separate point from flat? How much smoke? Total cook time? Temp? Anymore tips? I am planning to attempt one in a few weeks.

Elkhorn,

I have cooked both flats and whoe packers in my MES, both have turned out great. Flats fit in great, packers, I just bend a little and they do touch the sides but havent had a bad one yet. I never go by time just internal temp. I always wrap @ 140, salt and course ground black pepper rub then let her go till 170 or so for slicing. ( never pulled brisket but have read 190 for pulling) Cooking temp @ 200.
I have had a problem with not getting a smoke ring even though plenty of TBS, great hickory taste just no ring to speak of. I saw another post on here saying to use 1 peice of charcoal in with wood chips and it will solve that problem, havent tried it yet but have tried using Morton's tender quick and produces ring every time, may be cheating, but I got good flavor and my ring.
Good luck with the brisket and look forward to the QView.

Lawdog

Nice demonstration site. Not only does it show how to trim correctly, it shows visually the difference between a flat and a point. Yes, I'm a newbie
PDT_Armataz_01_26.gif
. Up to this point I had never split them before smoking them on my ECB and while them came out very good, I was always wondering the best way to slice them. Now I know!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky