Brisket with butcher paper dissapointment

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mrad

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 27, 2012
Princeton, MN
I will preface this by saying I probably have 15-20 briskets under my belt. Some with very good results, some with less than desired results. I usually find an 11-15lb prime packer from Costco. I usually smoke at 275 and foil at 160-165. I only use SPOG.

This past weekend I thought I was going to be cooking for a crowd of 14-16. I figured I would need a little bigger cut and found a 20lb packer at Costco. I was a bit reluctant as part of the flat was about 1 1/2" thick on the edge while the end with the point was about 5".

Originally I was going to try the hot and fast method so I decided to injected it with 3 cups of beef broth with phosphate in it and then rubbed with with SPOG. It was about 10:30 pm Friday night. My plan was to start the smoke at 4:00 am at 325 and lower the temp throughout the day if it looked like it was going to be finished too early.

At 11:00 pm my buddy who's cabin we were staying at convinced me to throw the brisket on then. We set the rec tec for 235 and put the packer on. At 4:00 am I checked the internal temp and the flat end was 148 while point end was 141. I started to worry that it might finish too early and, not wanting to have to get up every hour to check the temp, I dropped rec tec to 215. at 8:00 the flat was at 155 and the point end was 153. I upped the temp to 240. 10:00 both end were at roughly 158.

To make a long story shorter, When it hit 164 around noon, I wrapped it in butchers paper instead of foiling. I wanted to try and get a great bark. It took the meat about three hours to get from 194 to 205 with the temp bumped up to 265. When I unwrapped from the butcher paper, the bottom of the brisket (fat cap down) stuck to the paper and peeled of the fat cap layer. I separated the point from the flat. put the flat in a cooler to rest and cut the point up for burnt ends.

Has anyone else had issues with meat sticking to butcher paper?

My lesson learned is that I don't think I will ever use a packer this big again. Too much mass and variations in thickness to get even cooking. And the more I thought about it, to get a cut that big, the animal was probably an older animal to get to that size.

The burnt ends turned out great and about half of the flat (the thicker part) turned out well also. The thinner part will be used for cowboy beans and chili.

I had this happen to me a few months ago. I typically cook briskets in my offset so the brisket is fat side up. This time I cooked it in the uds so I put it fat side down and when I unwrapped the paper some of the brisket stuck to it. Still haven't figured out what happened.

I have done two packers with a paper wrap (foiled all/many before). Neither stuck to the paper. the first one I put the paper wrapped meat right on the grate and the paper kinda stuck the grate which made me freak a little because the paper was full of melted fat. The second one I placed on a disposable cookie sheet and it went much smoother. Neither stuck to the paper at all tho. Bother packers were very good all around.

Yeah my last brisket was stuck bad to the paper. Now in my self analysis of why, I had cooked it in the Yoder fat cap down on the top shelf at 230 to an IT of around 165 but in this case I figured that taking about 14 hours to get to that point probably already burned the fat. Then wrapping in the paper I cranked up my cooker to 375 to finish it fast (by design - I'm always trying new stuff) and when I pulled the brisket @ 203 it was stuck to the paper (on bottom/fat cap side) big time and the bottom crust was actually burned and too tough - on the bright side the rest of this brisket was spot on. Very tender, juicy, & had a great bark on the rest of the meat. I figured I'd probably cook the next one on 250 and get it to 165 a little sooner. Again, I'm trying to get the best of both worlds. I love a bark on my briskets but I have found the meat to be cooked more even & juicer when wrapped. I'm still fine tuning this process. I've cooked 40 or 50 briskets over the years but I've only wrapped the last 2. Also this brisket was very thick on the flat end (hard to find) and the fat cap overall wasn't as thick as I would have liked. This is a new area for me. Still learning.

I will preface this by saying I probably have 15-20 briskets under my belt. Some with very good results, some with less than desired results. I usually find an 11-15lb prime packer from Costco. I usually smoke at 275 and foil at 160-165. I only use SPOG.

This past weekend I thought I was going to be cooking for a crowd of 14-16. I figured I would need a little bigger cut and found a 20lb packer at Costco. I was a bit reluctant as part of the flat was about 1 1/2" thick on the edge while the end with the point was about 5".

Originally I was going to try the hot and fast method so I decided to injected it with 3 cups of beef broth with phosphate in it and then rubbed with with SPOG. It was about 10:30 pm Friday night. My plan was to start the smoke at 4:00 am at 325 and lower the temp throughout the day if it looked like it was going to be finished too early.

At 11:00 pm my buddy who's cabin we were staying at convinced me to throw the brisket on then. We set the rec tec for 235 and put the packer on. At 4:00 am I checked the internal temp and the flat end was 148 while point end was 141. I started to worry that it might finish too early and, not wanting to have to get up every hour to check the temp, I dropped rec tec to 215. at 8:00 the flat was at 155 and the point end was 153. I upped the temp to 240. 10:00 both end were at roughly 158.

To make a long story shorter, When it hit 164 around noon, I wrapped it in butchers paper instead of foiling. I wanted to try and get a great bark. It took the meat about three hours to get from 194 to 205 with the temp bumped up to 265. When I unwrapped from the butcher paper, the bottom of the brisket (fat cap down) stuck to the paper and peeled of the fat cap layer. I separated the point from the flat. put the flat in a cooler to rest and cut the point up for burnt ends.

Has anyone else had issues with meat sticking to butcher paper?

My lesson learned is that I don't think I will ever use a packer this big again. Too much mass and variations in thickness to get even cooking. And the more I thought about it, to get a cut that big, the animal was probably an older animal to get to that size.

The burnt ends turned out great and about half of the flat (the thicker part) turned out well also. The thinner part will be used for cowboy beans and chili.

I roll unwrapped the entire time so I can't really help with the paper and sticking issue HOWEVER I do have a solution to your bigger brisket with the thin end of the Flat muscle.

You will have to get over the fear of this but simply trim off that end of the brisket so what is left of the Flat is about uniform in thickness. I always show this pic when I describe this trimming approach:

That thin end of the flat will never be any good if left on a brisket.
I DO repurpose that meat though so it doesn't go to waste. It can easily be turned into burnt ends or chopped brisket or save it raw for other dishes or grind.
I did a whole post describing this trim approach and repurpose of the meat situation here. I hope it gives you some ideas and keeps you from being afraid of buying any brisket (big or small) that has a thin end of the Flat muscle: https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/my-brisket-flat-trimming-approach-explained-qview.286564/

Enjoy! :)

It can easily be turned into burnt ends or chopped brisket or save it raw for other dishes or grind.
Mmm,Brisket Bacon Burger.
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/custom-burger-grind-2.276777/#post-1844625
upload_2019-7-23_16-1-13.png

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky