Brisket this weekend.......

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dumasbro2

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 14, 2013
Sugarcreek, Ohio
I finally have the time to get that brisket smoked I have in the freezer.  I have read this thread: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/151303/first-time-smoking-a-brisket, a lot of good information. I have done a flat on my Weber kettle but this is a 13.8 lb. packer that I will be doing in my WSM. I want to have this ready by Saturday evening in the 5 to 7 pm time frame. My plan is to rub it down before I head to work, 6:30 am. Get the meat on the smoker around 7pm Friday at 225. I figure around 23 hour cook and rest time. I've done some long smokes, 14+ hours, with the butts I've done this year, but nothing overnight. I have a Maverick I plan on setting the temperature alarms at 200 and 250 while I'm (trying to) sleeping. Any heads up situations I should be on the look out for?

Using dry rub, no marinade.

Mop

Lump charcoal

Mesquite wood chunks

Drip pan on lower rack

Foil around 170 IT

Remove around 190 (check tenderness)

Rest 2 hours

Slice and celebrate or cry.:-)

Should I be concerned about not moping over night, is it even needed?

Thanks

Also, rib request (wife) for Sunday, busy weekend for the WSM. ( I think I've smoked something every weekend since I've got it in May) Never thought I would use it so much.....

Where should I probe for IT? The flat or the point? I was thinking the point, but I seen the flat probed somewhere.

Mostly check the flat. When it is done, separate the two and do burnt ends with the point. Don't forget the pics
biggrin.gif

Mike

Ok here is how things went.

I put the brisket in the smoker at 7:30pm Friday. About 9 pm I decided to mop. I found this was totally unnecessary. I had placed the brisket fat cap up and it was doing a fine job of self basting. I went to bed around 11pm and around midnight the low temperature alarm went off. I went to check on it and discovered it had started to rain, added air and every thing was fine again. Then I was good until 6am Saturday morning and it was low again. I went ahead and added coals and air, temperature recovered and I laid back down for an hour or so. around 8:30am the meat had reached 170 so I decided to foil it. This increased the IT much faster, I may not foil the next one. At 10am Saturday the IT had reached 190 so I checked the meat and it seemed very tender so I removed it added another layer of foil, placed it in a cooler with a few towels. At noon on Saturday I open up the foil and cut off the point. I re-foiled the flat and placed it back into the cooler. I cubed the point and mixed in a little of my spicy apple BBQ for burnt ends and placed it back in the smoker until 3 pm. Removed the burnt ends and asked for volunteers to sample, well these things were gone in no time. Cut the flat around 5 and was pleased with the results. I had captured the drippings with a pan on the lower rack but forgot to re-introduce the broth to the flat slices. It was still very good. Nice results for the first whole packer in the smoker. Thanks for all the advice. I can't wait to do another.

The burnt ends (meat candy)

The flat

Sorry for the crappy pics.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky