I have my 9lb brisket and will be starting my process tomorrow morning and will be smoking it early Sunday morning. Here's the plan:
1. Marinade in DR. pepper for 12 hrs
2. Pull meat out of marinade. Rub veg oil on the meat then my actual "rub". Inject apple juice in a few parts. Wrap in Saran Wrap and refrigerate overnight.
3. Wake up at 3am, pull meat out To reach room temp. Apple juice in the water pan. Toss the brisket in the smoker
4. I plan on flipping it every 3 hrs. At 170 I will wrap in foil and was thinking to use the juices from the water pan to put in the foil wrap. Throw it back in the smoker til the meat reaches 203 and pull it out
5. Wrap in foil again with either apple juice or more juice from water pan. Wrap in a blanket and into a cooler for an hour
Some questions about my process:
1. My brisket is huge...too big to fit in my propane smoker. I could cut a 1/4 chunk off. Is this a bad idea?
2. Is 12 hrs too long to marinade the meat in dr.P? Suggestions?
3. Is it ok to use the juice from the water pan after smoking?
4. How long do I actually "smoke" the brisket? Do I just keep adding wood until the brisket is finished?
This is my first time smoking anything...so any suggestions would be extremely appreciated. I will try to post pics throughout the day!!