BRISKET staying super moist

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

luter

Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
Dowes anyone know how most BBQ places can keep a brisket for a week and still when it ends up on our samich it is dripping moist. Do they pre slice it and keep it in a mop sauce or somthing to that effect? Mine after a couple days is terribly dry whe heated up for sandwiches. Any tricks of the trade would be appreciated. Thanks

Angus

Most Q plces io know don't keep briskets they smoke daily and any leftovers from the day b4 get chopped up for chopped sammies.

Most Q plces io know don't keep briskets they smoke daily and any leftovers from the day b4 get chopped up for chopped sammies.
That's my experience too. A good Q joint won't put out dry meat or meat that has been around too long. Bad news gets out just as fast as good news.

In the event that my wife and I can't eat a whole brisket that quick. Could it be keppt in like a mop sauce to keep it extra moist for a couple days?

In the event that my wife and I can't eat a whole brisket that quick. Could it be keppt in like a mop sauce to keep it extra moist for a couple days?
When you cook your brisket instead of wrapping it in foil at 165°, put it in a foil pan with a bottle of Killians Irish Red beer (or your liquid of choice
biggrin.gif
). Cover tightly with foil and take it all the way to 200° internal temp. Then pull the brisket out of the pan wrap it in foil and let it rest for at least 1 hr., while it rests take all the liquid gold in the pan and place it in the freezer for 20-30 minutes till the fat sets up on top - remove the fat.

Then save the rest of the ajus in the fridge. Now once the brisket has rested cut it into 3 or 4 big chunks (or whatever size you want, but try to leave it in large chunks), vaccum pack the chunks you are not going to eat that night and put them in the fridge. Then when you are going to have/use brisket again take your chunk and either put it in a 200° oven or a crockpot on low with some of the saved ajus, you can add a little apple juice, beer, whatever if you didn't have a lot of ajus to divide up. Just make sure you got some ajus in there. Let it heat up slowly for an hour or so till the internal temp gets back up to about 165°.

It will be very moist, and tender, and still have all it's awesome smokey goodness. You can also simmer the ajus in a small sauce pot with a slurry of red wine and some corstarch to thicken it just a tad, then serve it over the brisket - super easy and tastey, that little bit of red wine really punches up the flavor.

icon_cool.gif

I would recommand that you buy a pasta/steamer pot and after you eat the brisket for the first night. Then freeze it remaining and you can portion it out at this point. Then when you re-heat you want to use the steamer pot and it will also add some moisture and then afte rit is hot mix in some of the au jus thatyou re-heated in the mirco. Mix them bioth and you will have one fantastic hunks of brisket justlike it came off the smoker again.

Last edited:
icon_cool.gif

I would recommand that you buy a pasta/steamer pot and after you eat the brisket for the first night. Then freeze it remaining and you can portion it out at this point. Then when you re-heat you want to use the steamer pot and it will also add some moisture and then afte rit is hot mix in some of the au jus thatyou re-heated in the mirco. Mix them bioth and you will have one fantastic hunks of brisket justlike it came off the smoker again.
That's the way i does it!!!!

If it helps, I use both of these methods & my brisk tastes as juicy as the day I smoked it.  Sometimes, better.  Au Jus & steam & you can't go wrong.

When you cook your brisket instead of wrapping it in foil at 165°, put it in a foil pan with a bottle of Killians Irish Red beer (or your liquid of choice
biggrin.gif
). Cover tightly with foil and take it all the way to 200° internal temp. Then pull the brisket out of the pan wrap it in foil and let it rest for at least 1 hr., while it rests take all the liquid gold in the pan and place it in the freezer for 20-30 minutes till the fat sets up on top - remove the fat.

Then save the rest of the ajus in the fridge. Now once the brisket has rested cut it into 3 or 4 big chunks (or whatever size you want, but try to leave it in large chunks), vaccum pack the chunks you are not going to eat that night and put them in the fridge. Then when you are going to have/use brisket again take your chunk and either put it in a 200° oven or a crockpot on low with some of the saved ajus, you can add a little apple juice, beer, whatever if you didn't have a lot of ajus to divide up. Just make sure you got some ajus in there. Let it heat up slowly for an hour or so till the internal temp gets back up to about 165°.

It will be very moist, and tender, and still have all it's awesome smokey goodness. You can also simmer the ajus in a small sauce pot with a slurry of red wine and some corstarch to thicken it just a tad, then serve it over the brisket - super easy and tastey, that little bit of red wine really punches up the flavor.
icon_cool.gif

LOL... nothing like a clear concise answear to confuse you...heh-heh.

A lot of folks do like the steamer pot..... I just don't have one, and have no space to store another pot that will only get used on very rare occasions. Go with what materials you got on hand, main thing is low and slow on the re-heat, and make sure you have some of the left over ajus handy.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

It's nice to know what to do if I have any brisky left over, Thanks for asking that question Luter! But normaly I'm like Pit4Brains.........
 My briskets dissapear while I'm slicing.. Never had one hang around too long..   

A lot of folks do like the steamer pot..... I just don't have one, and have no space to store another pot that will only get used on very rare occasions. Go with what materials you got on hand, main thing is low and slow on the re-heat, and make sure you have some of the left over ajus handy.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
Do you have the 2 piece broiler pan that comes w/ most ovens???

Makes a great steamer. Just put water in the bottom put the rack on top  place meat on rack cover w/ foil. I just set it on 2 burners on top the stove (med.) Or you could use the oven.

PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
Do you have the 2 piece broiler pan that comes w/ most ovens???

Makes a great steamer. Just put water in the bottom put the rack on top  place meat on rack cover w/ foil. I just set it on 2 burners on top the stove (med.) Or you could use the oven.

lol... no we have an old electric oven that doesn't have a seperate broiler pan. A new stove is on my wish list, but I have to wait till I can also afford to have the gas line extended to the kitchen - I want a gas stove, hate electric. I like the crockpot a lot because I can put in the chunk o' meat some ajus and not worry about it if I get distraced or the wife finds something for me to do... lol.

I really appreciate the info guys. I am going to do another brisket this weekens do I will let you know how it works out. Thanks again for all the input.

Angus

I am new on this forum but I have quite a bit of experience smoking briskets and other meats. When I do one for my wife and I any left overs I wrap up and place in the fridge overnight. The next day when it is cool I run it through my meat slicer the thickness I want. I then vacuum seal it and freeze it. When I want some I just drop the vacuum pack unopened into boiling water until it is good and hot. When you cut open that pack it will smell and taste just like it came off the smoker.

Hope this helps.

Dan

If you vacuum seal your meat with some juice in it then reheat in a boiling pot it work great as well. Just throw the whole bag still sealed in the boiling water then remove the meat and apply some more of your Ajus if you have any left over that you saved. If not it is usually still very juicy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky