Brisket Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokininidaho

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 11, 2011
N. Idaho
So I have a small 3.5 lb. brisket flat. I want to smoke but I also want to finish it by putting in a foil pan on a bed of sliced onions and beef broth for some au jus sammies. So my question is at what temp should I transfer the flat to the covered pan. Then is it necessary to rest using this method? I could pull it out rest it in butcher paper if you think this might be a good idea.

Reactions: JLeonard
Give this thread a read by SmokinAl SmokinAl

Chris

Reactions: smokininidaho
Give this thread a read by SmokinAl SmokinAl

Chris
Thanks, I remember seeing that before. Problem is mine is already on the smoker on the grate. I was going to pull it off and then put it in the pan. I guess I'll just go to 170 and then put it in the foil pan with the onions and beef broth and go to about 205 or probe tender. Still want to know if I should wrap and rest.

Reactions: chopsaw
Wrapping and resting is dependent on a couple of thing. First if your brisket is done about the time your ready to eat. Then just cover loosely with foil and let it rest for about 10 min. Second, if your still a few hours away from din-din time and the brisket is probe tender. Then let it sit on the counter until the internal temp drops to about 170*. Then wrap and rest it in a cooler covered in towels. If you put it wrapped in a cooler at 205* then when you take it out to eat. The brisket will be overcooked. It will taste good, but the slices will probably be crumbly. Those are my thoughts on wrapping and resting.

Chris

Reactions: smokininidaho
I haven't done a brisket flat like you're describing, but I've done a TON o' chuckies that way, which are usually 3.5 lbs. Basically, the same thing.

I usually throw it on the smoker for three hours, put it in a pan, add the veggies and beef broth, wrap the pan, crank the heat up to 300F+, and let it go until probe tender through the foil, usually about another 3 hours. You can certainly monitor the temp, but I let the meat talk to me using the probe as the interpreter. Usually rest in the pan for an hour after pulling it off the smoker.

I haven't done a brisket flat like you're describing, but I've done a TON o' chuckies that way, which are usually 3.5 lbs. Basically, the same thing.

I usually throw it on the smoker for three hours, put it in a pan, add the veggies and beef broth, wrap the pan, crank the heat up to 300F+, and let it go until probe tender through the foil, usually about another 3 hours. You can certainly monitor the temp, but I let the meat talk to me using the probe as the interpreter. Usually rest in the pan for an hour after pulling it off the smoker.
Thanks, at 162 now maybe getting thru the stall. Good advice, as soon as it breaks the stall it's going in the pan.

What he said.
As soon as you get a level of bark you like, wrap it and move to the oven.
I like 225 in the oven if I have hours to spare, otherwise I use 250.

Reactions: chopsaw
Dang... I just picked up a 3.5 brisket and was looking for ideas on smoking such a wee one. This thread looked excellent but has the last few pages missing! How did it turn out??

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky