brisket question from newb

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sunman76

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Feb 18, 2011
Duncan Oklahoma
how long can a brisket set foiled and wrapped up in a cooler ?
icon_question.gif

Last edited:
how long can a brisket set foiled and wrapped up in a cooler ?
icon_question.gif
If you put a dry towel under it, and fill the rest of the dead space with more towels, it will hold for 6 or so hours. But it will continue to cook a bit, so if you plan to hold it for longer than 4 hrs. I suggest you pull it out of the smoker about 5° early.

here is my plan prep and dryrub meat Friday after work about 4:00 or 5:00 set in fridge till sat.

Start pit about 2:00 Get brisket on at 3:00 sat smoke till 170 wrap with foil and some juice

back on till 190, Thinking about 1.5hr per pound smoke till about 7:00am Sunday wrap up in some

towels and put in the cooler,  Shower to remove smoke smell ..lol  Go to church get out at 12:00

start fire back up in smoker about 2:00 and put on some baked beans in the smoker for about a

hour. Come out around 3:00 to eat around 3:30 4:00 does this sound like anything close to good

times? based on about a 10lb PC of meat.

that is the reason I was asking how long can it hang in cooler wrapped up.

thanks for the heads up will do!

If you put a dry towel under it, and fill the rest of the dead space with more towels, it will hold for 6 or so hours. But it will continue to cook a bit, so if you plan to hold it for longer than 4 hrs. I suggest you pull it out of the smoker about 5° early.

Another option is if you have a crockpot, cook the brisket all the way on Saturday, then Sunday morning toss it into the crockpot on low to re-heat while you are at church. The timeline you described has the meat sitting in the cooler for 8 hrs. or so, and that might be pushing it a bit. You could also push back dinner a bit to around 6:00 then when you toss the beans on the smoker also put the foiled brisket on to re-heat that way for 3 or 4 hrs.

I've had them in a cooler for 8 hours & they were still 160 degrees when I pulled them out. The thing about brisket is they tend to stall & sometimes they may stall for hours. What I'm trying to say is it's almost impossible to calculate finish time even within a 2 or 3 hour window. I hope your not late for Church!

I have to agree with Al, my 10lb went 22 hours! I will say I cooked it pretty low @ 205-210 and I fought the smoker all day due to cold and wind. But you never know what will happen.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky