Brisket (plateau issue)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bonedadddy

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
Raymore, MO
Hello all,

Having a bunch of folks over tomorrow, so I wanted to get a lot of the cooking out of the way today.

I am 9 1/2 hours in on an 11lb packers cut...I have hit a plateau of about 163 degrees...I am a little concerned but I know that I should just wait it out... (this is the part that drives me nuts...its like watching water boil)

I have a gosm and am using hickory for wood (and possibly a chunk of apple was in there). The unit is sitting around 230-250 (my temp gage may be off a little bit)...The brisket has been in a foil pan with cover for about 6 of the 9 1/2 hours.

I should just wait it out right???

Yes, wait it out. I once had a brisket plateau on me twice so you're doing well.
biggrin.gif

It's worth it, rush it and all your work will be for nought.

Patience is hard to find at a time like this. As said above, wait it out. You will be rewarded with a moist and tender brisket!

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

Just like everyone else said... wait it out....

I have problems with the patience part sometimes too..... I have tried to rush a few things... they always turn south.... kinda learned my lesson i guess - the hard way.....

Have have a few things - (a few butts) go down 14 - 18 degrees....

Yeah, I think the second plateau is 174...started rising from 160 about 30 after I started this post...then hit 174 and is just there....

But you know...I am not going anywhere...and this meat is for tomorrow anyway...I am just glad I didnt have this happen tomorrow!!! I think I have learned a few things here!!! hehe...

Thanks for your responses...I pretty much knew I had to wait, but this is my first experience at a plateau and wanted to make sure I wasnt losing my mind (not much there to loose...)

PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
Happy Smoke Rings from Sedalia, MO. I just did my first Brisket and had to pull and foil it at 143 deg. Then after I got home; I put it in what turned out to be a 300 deg oven and took it to 199 deg internal temp. I couldn't tell about the plateau while eating it. So ??? Hope this helps.

Yahoo!!! We have 190 degrees!!!! and I am yankin this brisket outta tha smoker!!!

16 hours....but I did some math, and I am an idiot :-) (goes to show you those catholic nuns should have taught more math and less "beat me with a stick"...hehe)

11 X 1.5 = 16.5

So in reality, the meat cooked the way it should have!!!

I will have some Qview tomorrow...I am just a little pooped out from all the work today!!!

Thanks again to those who told me to hang in there!!! And a big howdy hello out to Sedalia!!! I have to admit, the oven was starting to look better and better as the day went on...hehe

On to tomorrows Ribs...I will do a nice Qview of the feast!

If you don't have kids,,,,,,,then have some! you will learn patience over time..............Nice job, it's always worth it!

After the smoke is applied there is nothing wrong with the oven. Some may differ with that comment but honestly it depends on the time you have, sleep that may be needed or the beers you have consumed or may still want too, there are many variables....

The oven is where I started years ago...I would put a brisket in on 225 and let it cook...I never really used a thermo, just pulled it after 8 or so hours...flopped it on the grill and scorched the outer layer...

I think the main difference is the "open" time on the smoker (mopping time...filling water...adding wood)

Thanks for all of your comments...I think the main thing I learned from this is patience :-)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky