Brisket on the smoker for 11 hours and only 155* - Help!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smoking in ft. collins

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
I have an 8lb brisket on my MES and it has been on there for 11 hours.  It has been on this smoker at between 225 and 240 since 7AM MST this morning.

I had a 7lb butt on there that got to 200* at the same time.

Any ideas what is wrong?  This is the longest smoke EVER for me
icon_evil.gif

John

Have you boil-checked your temp probe for the brisket? Is it the same probe you used on the butt, or a different probe? It may not be reading accurately...brisket and butts don't cook that far apart on times, is why I'm asking.

Eric

What's the IT of the brisket right now? Are you positive that your smoker temps are correct?
Briskets and butts cooked at that temp can go 2 hours/lb or longer. They all have a mind of their own!

The smoker has a external Maverick probe for it's temp (dial says 180 when temp is 220).

The brisket has a Maverick probe that says 156 now.  The Butt had a different brand of probe.

The butt was below the brisket in the smoker.

John

double check your probes with a boil test...also double check your chamber temp compared to your setting...some chunks of brisket and even pork shoulders have a mind of their own and can go thru one heck of a stall before they start to raise internal temp wise

First check the meat, its why you are smoking. Without the probes input, lets do old school. Have to tried the toothpick test? Can you insert it with little or no resistance? Like inserting into a stick of butter. That is when the brisket is done.

Depending upon the resistance you should be able to assess the doneness.

Then you'll know about the meat.

Then you can start worrying about electronic inputs.

Remember the more you open the door messing with 'em the longer it takes, electric smokers are very slow to recover.

Last edited:

First check the meat, its why you are smoking. Without the probes input, lets do old school. Have to tried the toothpick test? Can you insert it with little or no resistance? Like inserting into a stick of butter. That is when the brisket is done.

Depending upon the resistance you should be able to assess the doneness.

Then you'll know about the meat.

Then you can start worrying about electronic inputs.

Remember the more you open the door messing with 'em the longer it takes, electric smokers are very slow to recover.
That is probably what is going on (door opening).  I verified my temp with 3 different thermometers.  They were within 5 degrees of each other.  I have moved it into the oven (foil time) to finish.  I ate the butt for dinner.  Going to eat the brisket this weekend on a Boy Scout campout.

Thanks, John

Boy Scouts eat brisket? I only remember one time the Leaders feed us and we had worked for months selling road side energency flares, got the troops new tents. It was totally cool though....LOL

I bet they love it, BTW thanks for supporting the BSA. I bet the boys will always remember it too.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky