brisket now with Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jacobtia

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
Central Illinois
So, I am smoking a brisket tomorrow and plan on eating at 2pm. I plan on starting at 6am. The brisket is 6 lbs. I have a BBQ PRO barrel smoker with off set fire box. I am new to smoking and have just done some mods to my smoker. After doing so I ran a test run with a probe thermo through an onion and got it dialed in to run at 240 degrees for 2 hrs before i got tired and went to bed. That was on one load of natural charcoal. 

Am I on track to eat at 2?

Or should I start earlier?

And pics will come!!!

Crezy Jake

Last edited:
Plan on around 1.5-2 hours per pound....to smoke as long as the stall is short! Then you need to wrap it in foil for atleast a hour to rest in a dry cooler. If it were me i would have the brisket on at 4 if i wanted to eat by 2. I would much rather have it sitting in a cooler when company arrives then still cooking! It will hold for hours in your cooler and be still hot when you pull it out to slice.

You will not get it done in time as planned. Get it on about 10 pm or midnight and wait it out. Like Les said, it is way better to have one done before schedule (which rarely happens) than to wait for it to finish while you eat delivered pizza.

You said you had your smoker running at 240 for two hours before ya got tired... You won't get a chicken done in that time.. Get some sleep, get some beer, and cook that briskey all night..

I got tired cause I did the test run at 11:00pm.......when you ain't got nothin on the smoker but an onion it's kinda hard to stay motivated!!!! LOL! Looks like I'm up earlier than expected! I'll keep ya'll posted!

Last edited:
Good luck with the smoke.. How about some Qview
icon14.gif

The smokers been goin since 4:30am! I actually woke up with no alarm at 3:30am cause I was so pumped about getting my smoke on! It's gonna be a good day!

The smokers been goin since 4:30am! I actually woke up with no alarm at 3:30am cause I was so pumped about getting my smoke on! It's gonna be a good day!
LOL---Waking up early without the alarm!!!

Kinda like the first day of Buck, or the first day of Trout season!!!

Can't wait to see the Qview!

Bear

Yep, good move getting up early. You will still be hard pressed to have it done by 2:00. Hope everything runs smoothly. If it stalls DON'T raise the temp up, just leave it alone.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky