Brisket is to big, Help!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

forest walker

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
Upstate NY
The brisket I'm going to start tonight is to big and won't fit in my Mes 30. Should I separate the point from the flat and cut the flat in half, or just cut the whole thing in half, or just cut off enough to fit it in (which is almost in half) and will this shorten the cooking time. Please help!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Will it chane the smoke time if I separate the two and cut the flat in half?

Hello.  I must slightly disagree with my Texas brother on this one.  My advice is to rush out and buy a bigger smoker.  Problem solved!  For us Texas boys we should have a smoker that is 25' long and 6 'wide at grill height.  We may only be cooking 4 burgers and 1 chicken, but HEY!, I could throw a cow on this sucker if I needed to.  
icon_biggrin.gif
  Seriously now.  As we tend to say 1-1/2 to 2 hrs. per lb.; AS A GUIDE, then if you are smoking a smaller brisket the cooking time SHOULD be less.  Having said that, brisket can have a mind of it's own.  I have been caught a time or 100 by a brisket that didn't co-operate.  Adjust your cooking time accordingly but be sure to leave some time for the stall.  Good luck.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

For my MES30, when I get a full packer you know it must be trimmed. I cut the flat end square with the grain. This will remove a triangle of meat, about 2 to 3 pounds from a 14/15 lb. packer. Then it fits fine in the MES30 from corner to corner.

The cut off pieces I save for either chili grind or I have been known to corn them for pastrami.

But your brisket will shrink during cooking, so don't get carried away trimming.

Last edited:
Ended up separating the point from the flat, and it just fits. It's 12:30am and it just went on. It may be done early but I would rather it rest for 3-4 hrs than not be done.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky