Brisket Help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dmath

Original poster
Aug 30, 2015
Good Evening,
I smoked a 15 lb brisket today, but it won't be served till tomorrow afternoon. I have it in a pan with broth in it in the fridge. Would it be best to reheat it in the broth whole or should I slice it before reheating it ? Thanks in advance for any suggestions..

On my last brisket cook I sliced first then reheated in the (covered) pan with broth. It was quicker to get back up to temp and it worked on all 6 briskets. None turned out dry at all. It was also alot easier to slice cold.

Reactions: tallbm
I wouldn't keep it in the pan sitting in the broth. Store and cook the brisket and broth separately - bark preservation. Also I agree with storing the brisket whole. Slice it up when your ready to chow down

Chris

Thanks for the input. Getting ready to heat it up now.

Thanks for the input. Getting ready to heat it up now.
Hi there and welcome!

Understand that reheating a whole brisket takes quite a long time for it to hit 170F degrees in the meat, so plan appropriately.

You also have the opportunty to slice some and reheat and also reheat a large chunk.

I personally go with slice first and reheat. Also if you slice while its cold you can get thinner slices without fear of it falling apart or shredding up on you.

Either way you go, you should be fine. Reheated brisket is forgiving as long as you don't "re-cook" it but stop at reheating it :)

Reactions: Ringer
Keep us posted as I got a packer brisket that I am trying to figure out holding times/procedure. This fridge and reheat thing is interesting.

Reactions: culpepersmoke
The Brisket turned out great. The cook was done at 10:30 pm. I let it cool off a couple hours, then put it in the fridge in an aluminum pan with broth half way up its sides and the pan covered with foil. I took it out the next day at noon. set the smoker at 200. Sliced the brisket while it was cold. Put it in the pan with the broth. It warmed up nicely in about 2 1/2 hrs. It was very tender, and very easy pull apart. It was a hit, everyone loved it..

Reactions: snadamo and tallbm
Thanks for the info. Im smoking 2 Briskets tomorrow that I need for Friday and have been debating to reheat whole or sliced. Seems like both ways can work but I think Im still leaning towards reheating whole to lock in more of the juices.

Thanks for the info. Im smoking 2 Briskets tomorrow that I need for Friday and have been debating to reheat whole or sliced. Seems like both ways can work but I think Im still leaning towards reheating whole to lock in more of the juices.
Hi there and welcome!

Just be sure to set aside a lot of time for reheating a whole unsliced brisket. Think about how long it took to get to 170F Internal Temp (IT) of the meat while you were cooking it. So be prepared for a considerable heat up time and you will be ok :)

Thanks for the update! I ended up buying a Turkey roaster and plan to not hold overnight and in morning. I will let you know how that goes as well.

Ok here's what I ended up doing and it turned out great! Smoked briskets as I normally do and let them rest in a cooler for about 3 hours. Then left them in the butcher paper and placed them in the fridge overnight. In the morning I took them out and let them come up to room temperature and sliced them and boy they were good even cold! Since we were having a graduation party and expecting a lot of people I decided to chop the sliced brisket to make it stretch a little further. From.there placed chopped brisket in an aluminum roasting pan with some beef broth poured on top to help keep moist. Covered the pan with foil and placed in over at 225 for about 1-2 hours. Turned put great still super moist! Nothing but complements all night long!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky