Brisket Flat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

undy

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 30, 2017
New York
I smoked a flat overnight. Smoked at 180 for 13 hours, hit 165 and covered till it hit 205. I kept the flat in heavy duty tin foil and then wrapped in towels and placed in cooler for a few hours. Plenty of juice when I open and slice. Great bark and flavor but after slicing flat became dried out. Any thoughts why this happened?

Attachments

• 39F7F65C-14CC-4E5B-9205-3E48B280D304.jpeg
    39F7F65C-14CC-4E5B-9205-3E48B280D304.jpeg
    178.2 KB · Views: 27
Yes. Only sliced what was need. Luckily there was a lot of juice so I use that on our sandwiches but a s we went for seconds the slices were really dry

Well then it looks like you did everything right, and if it was tender then it was not under-cooked. Prime grade can help, and I inject with a minimum of a beefy broth, but I favor a scaled back brisket injection which does have some phosphates to grab onto moisture.

Reactions: JC in GB
MIght be overcooked.
Cooking to a temp can lead you astray.
Go by tenderness and flop instead.
Remember as well that if you fully cook it and then wrap in towels it will "carry over" cook and become overdone.
If you are wrapping and holding temp after removing, pull it at a lower temp and let it continue cooking in the wrap.

Well then it looks like you did everything right, and if it was tender then it was not under-cooked. Prime grade can help, and I inject with a minimum of a beefy broth, but I favor a scaled back brisket injection which does have some phosphates to grab onto moisture.
I did inject with a beef broth mixture. Just disappointed in results as I have seen many pictures of a juicy brisket slice. Will keep trying until I get it. Thanks!

MIght be overcooked.
Cooking to a temp can lead you astray.
Go by tenderness and flop instead.
Remember as well that if you fully cook it and then wrap in towels it will "carry over" cook and become overdone.
If you are wrapping and holding temp after removing, pull it at a lower temp and let it continue cooking in the wrap.
Maybe that's it. Although if was still tender and tasted pretty good. I will just keep trying and will not let it sit in cooler as long next time

I get such spotty results with brisket anymore that I’ve switched to beef short ribs instead. Brisket on a stick and very easy forgiving cook. Keep on the lookout and I find it for around $5.99 or less a lbs.

Reactions: jaxgatorz
I get such spotty results with brisket anymore that I’ve switched to beef short ribs instead. Brisket on a stick and very easy forgiving cook. Keep on the lookout and I find it for around $5.99 or less a lbs.
Thanks I will add them to my list of things to try

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky