Brisket Flat Q-View

Discussion in 'Beef' started by ats32, May 11, 2013.

1. ats32

ats32 Smoking Fanatic

MES40 Prep:

Brisket rubbed over night and then another thin layer just before going on:

And we're on the smoker!

2. kathrynn

kathrynn Smoking Guru OTBS Member

[​IMG]  count me in for a little while!!!  Looking great so far!

Kat

3. ats32

ats32 Smoking Fanatic

The internal temp is going up faster than I anticipated but I think it always does that on my briskets. Up to 125F in 2 hours. Might drop the smoker temp to 240F from the 255F I set it.

4. geerock

geerock Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Once it hits about 150 she's gonna stall for a good amount of time. Keep that in mind.

5. ats32

ats32 Smoking Fanatic

Yeah...I hate that period! All briskets and pork shoulders have been different for me. The last brisket stalled around 155F for almost 3 hours!

6. seenred

seenred Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member

Yep...every brisket and butt seems to have a mind of its own.  Going great so far...keep us posted!

Red

7. Will be following this, o ya.

8. ats32

ats32 Smoking Fanatic

After about 3.5 hours I am up to 150F internal temp. Hoping for the plateau to hit soon or else I will feel like something went wrong!

9. ats32

ats32 Smoking Fanatic

Alright I'm holding temp at 152F. Very happy. Not going to crutch it this time just to see how it turns out.

10. ats32

ats32 Smoking Fanatic

Very quick look to see how the bark is forming.

11. ats32

ats32 Smoking Fanatic

Ok...I lied. I'm crutching it since it was taking a long time to gain just a couple degrees. Here's progress with my beef broth, garlic, onion, soy sauce concoction.

12. geerock

geerock Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Hee, ha. I get a charge out of what happens to folks thought processes while waiting thru the evil stall. :biggrin: It was impossible to leave it be, right ATS? Its gonna come out great either way. Happy smokin'.

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  13. ats32

ats32 Smoking Fanatic

Haha I needed the help to get it done so I can go out for a couple drinks while it rests!

14. ats32

ats32 Smoking Fanatic

I checked at 190F and it wasn't the tenderness I wanted. Went back and it felt perfect at 201F. Now the brisket is resting.

15. seenred

Still lookin' good!  Keep the Qview coming!

Red

16. ats32

ats32 Smoking Fanatic

Here's the last pic from last night after spending time in the cooler for 3 hours. It was still 150F after that long. The pictures don't really do it justice. Very juicy, tender, and perfect amount of smokey goodness.

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  17. ats32

ats32 Smoking Fanatic

Small amount leftover and simmering low with some tomato sauce, stewed tomatoes, and chillies.

18. ats32

ats32 Smoking Fanatic

Ok I'll stop bumping my own thread after this. [​IMG]

Leftover brisket chili with beans and just made homemade pepper jack, jalepeno corn bread.

19. seenred

Man, it all looks great!

Red

20. Outstanding looking food! Brisket is awesome in chili and yours looks great!